straight axel

-

OiiiiiiO

Reaction score
can someone tell me about straight axels? i 'm looking to turn my 67 valiant into a gasser. any help would be welcome. i live in jersey. thank you

I looked at a 62 -63 valiant project a gut had a few years ago, that he was using the straight axle and rear end from an old A100 van. Looked really cool.

Speedwaymotors.com has complete straight axle kits for just about anything. I'm looking at them for my 40 Plymouth Coupe. 65'

IF you find anything about this please keep us posted.
I too have been toying with the idea.I have been searching for photos of how to hook the steering up to the Mopar manual steering box.Have not found any yet.Also to leave the K frame in or remove. If leaving it in the engine mounts and steering box will not have to be fabricated. I have found many saying that some kits like the one from Speedway the leaf springs are too short and can cause problems with how the car drives.Try to have the springs as long as possible.

I was going to build a Gasser using a Valiant. The rules say 67 darts are allowed. They have now changed that . Only 67 Novas . Mopars are 66 and earlier. Just something to check into before building a car you cannot race in the class. I read the rules and then called "East Coast Gassers" The Dart was listed as OK but not the Valiant. When I called he informed me the Dart was listed but was a mistake. Only 67's allowed were Novas. All other cars need to be 66 and earlier.

Yeah, The rules are different with each group.
Southeast Gassers states "Like it was in 1967" So you would think all 67's
They also have a stick shift only policy.

Yeah, The rules are different with each group.
Southeast Gassers states "Like it was in 1967" So you would think all 67's
They also have a stick shift only policy.
I believe that SEG also excludes camaros by rule, and maybe 67 mustangs. They do allow 65/66 mustangs. I think they require 66 sheet metal on 67 nova's.
Yep, just checked... no camaro, no v8 corvairs, no opels.
Guess who has a straight front axle opel......

Last edited:
IF you find anything about this please keep us posted.
I too have been toying with the idea.I have been searching for photos of how to hook the steering up to the Mopar manual steering box.Have not found any yet.Also to leave the K frame in or remove. If leaving it in the engine mounts and steering box will not have to be fabricated. I have found many saying that some kits like the one from Speedway the leaf springs are too short and can cause problems with how the car drives.Try to have the springs as long as possible.
from the pitman arm run a 'drag link' across to the top of pass' side steering arm then a 'track rod' from under the pass' steering arm across to under the drivers steering arm. you need at least 5 degrees castor but i usually run nearer 10 as the steering self centres easier. as long as the front tyres are pretty narrow the steering's not heavy at parking speeds. re springs i've used 'hairpins, a panhard bar and coilovers and had no issues with driveablility. it's what i'll be using again in my 68 valiant.
neil.

@mygasser
also, check out the H.A.M.B
that's a whole lot of straight axle threads.
what gets me is most guys call any beam/tube axle a straight axle even if it's not 'straight'. stock i beams have some drop as do a lot of aftermarket drop tube/beam axles. these all get used on 'gassers' and are called straight axles. i use straight tube for my axles so they're, well..... straight, like the speedway straight tube axles.
neil.

I have a 64 Valiant, that I had planned on building ( not sure if it will happen) I have a 66 Cuda glass tilt nose (wheel cutouts up to the bumper, ala altered WB) Glass doors, and bumpers, lexan for the windows, 8 point roll bar kit, Rear springs moved inboard. Was thinking of using a Volkswagen beatle complete steering/suspension. Or else a tubuler dropped axle, with 1/4 eliptic leaf springs.
Slant Six powered, of course

I have a 64 Valiant, that I had planned on building ( not sure if it will happen) I have a 66 Cuda glass tilt nose (wheel cutouts up to the bumper, ala altered WB) Glass doors, and bumpers, lexan for the windows, 8 point roll bar kit, Rear springs moved inboard. Was thinking of using a Volkswagen beatle complete steering/suspension. Or else a tubuler dropped axle, with 1/4 eliptic leaf springs.
Slant Six powered, of course

inspiration...

that's a whole lot of straight axle threads.
what gets me is most guys call any beam/tube axle a straight axle even if it's not 'straight'. stock i beams have some drop as do a lot of aftermarket drop tube/beam axles. these all get used on 'gassers' and are called straight axles. i use straight tube for my axles so they're, well..... straight, like the speedway straight tube axles.
neil.
Agreed. "Straight axle" has become a generic term for anything that has had an independant front end replaced with a solid front axle. "Solid" would be a more accurate term. I have a solid front axle car, but it is not straight!
Cmon, mygasser, show us that pic of your anglia again!

Last edited:

I don't need inspiration, I need to a few years younger, and a few dollars richer.
I need to do some maintainence, on my 66 Valiant race car
Some suspension/steering/ brake work on my street 64 Valiant
Rebuild the turbo motor, and build a trans for my street/strip 65 Valiant
I Have 5 engines on engine stands in process
Suspect I will run out of time. But as Charlie Brown says "God put me on earth, to accomplish a certain number of things, and at the rate I'm going, I'll live forever"

I don't need inspiration, I need to a few years younger, and a few dollars richer.
I need to do some maintainence, on my 66 Valiant race car
Some suspension/steering/ brake work on my street 64 Valiant
Rebuild the turbo motor, and build a trans for my street/strip 65 Valiant
I Have 5 engines on engine stands in process
Suspect I will run out of time. But as Charlie Brown says "God put me on earth, to accomplish a certain number of things, and at the rate I'm going, I'll live forever"
:) yup, me too. i figure i have about 200 years of projects in the pipeline and i keep coming up with more :D

oh, ok then if you insist :thumbsup:
and a couple of my old '47 austin too
and my mk2 ford consul mid build
neil.
ps all 3 with 'straight' tube axles :rolleyes:

austin gasser 2.jpg

austin gasser.jpg

consul gasser 001.jpg

consul gasser 002.jpg

anglia gasser.jpg

Last edited:
i'm gathering and building a couple of gasser austin a40's a pickup and a coupe . going with early hemis in them . also picked up a 60 rambler american , its going tobe a wedge in it .

DSC06653.JPG

DSC01763.JPG

thumbnail_Cab kinda.jpg

thumbnail_Half Truck IMG_3517.jpg

thumbnail_7-5-2020- austin-paul-200s-rolf-marko 41 063.jpg

what i need is, does someone know a reputable place that installs straight axels in new jersey ? thanks
IMG_20201002_140829513_HDR.jpg

-
Back