Strange Engine Number? Stupid tuning questions

-

Manuel K

Reaction score
Hello

I am new here in the forum and new to Slant Six'es.

Story so far:
I bought last year a '37 4 door Plymouth.
The original engine was not the best anymore so i decided to swap it with a (dont laugh) Slant Six. It is some sort of strange combination but i love it

The problem is that Slant 6 engines are not so present in germany. Its not easy to find an engine but its much harder to find somebody who has knowledge about it.

Long story short: i found an engine (which came out from a truck) from somebody who knows somebody. I Was searching on the i-net for the engine number and also for tuningparts.

But i am still as stupid as before.

So i hope you can help me with my stupid questions:

1. Identification:
The stamped engine number is 8 225 T26 6 CE. The number on the block is 3577 / 530-9. Thats it. Other numbers what i have found so far are much longer. But it must be an engine >'75 because it has no sparkplug tubes anymore.

2. Mild tuning:
I would like to have about 170 to 190 horsepower. What kind of parts are necessary to change and which brand is preferred from your side?

Thank you very very much in advance. Sorry for annoying you guys with the questions.

Manuel

20181202_185740.jpg

20181202_180420.jpg

20181202_185416.jpg

I don't have much information for you but I wanted to welcome you to the forum!:welcome:

Getting a slant to the 180 hp range is not difficult,

1) improve the ignition, go with an HEI module, that will also require a mopar electronic distributor.
2) you can get to your hp goals with a well tuned 2bbl. But a 4bb on an offy or Clifford would be a plus.
3) exhaust headers, Hooker long tubes, Clifford or AussieSpeed will help. The shorty Cliffords would probably be the best choice for your car, or possibly Dual Dutra’s.
4) you will want to upgrade the cam, many choices, Comp, Hughes,,,or have your existing cam reground.
5) stock rods are fine as are stock style pistons to get you to your power goal, if you over bore the cylinders, Silvolite are a good stock style piston.
6) you will want to mill the block and head to raise the compression to 8.5 to 1
7) a clean up of the cylinder head valve ports would help.
Look at the www.slantsix.org forum,
FABO is a good forum, but the slant six experts are at .org
They have a slant six engine build matrix that lists out what others have done on thier slant engine builds.

Thank you very much for the welcome and the hints.

to 1) Do you mean something like this for a HEI module:
Dodge Slant 6 Tri-Power Distributor - Performance Distributors

to 2) I bought a few weeks ago a Tri-Power Lynx Valiant Inlet with 3 SU Carburators. Hope those will work aswell after i refurbished them

to 3) i guess you mean those headers? MOPAR 225 Headers *Low Starter

to 4) I rebuilt already different engines (straight 8, normal 4 cylinders) but with stock parts. No tuning in those cases.
But if it comes now to choose the right Cam i am totally lost.

to 5) will have a look at the silvolite. means stockstyle that the Pistons have this "Dent" in the middle? Or are those flat already? if not: wouldnt it be better to have flat Pistons to increase compression?

to 6) sounds good. will do

to 7) this is something what i can do by myself i guess

Is there a link to the engine build Matrix? Sounds very promising to me.
The Problem is that i do not get write-Access to the slantsix.org Forum. So i can not ask things there.
Dont ask me why. Already wrote an admin an email to check my Registration.

Thank you very much for the welcome and the hints.

to 1) Do you mean something like this for a HEI module:
Dodge Slant 6 Tri-Power Distributor - Performance Distributors

to 2) I bought a few weeks ago a Tri-Power Lynx Valiant Inlet with 3 SU Carburators. Hope those will work aswell after i refurbished them

to 3) i guess you mean those headers? MOPAR 225 Headers *Low Starter

to 4) I rebuilt already different engines (straight 8, normal 4 cylinders) but with stock parts. No tuning in those cases.
But if it comes now to choose the right Cam i am totally lost.

to 5) will have a look at the silvolite. means stockstyle that the Pistons have this "Dent" in the middle? Or are those flat already? if not: wouldnt it be better to have flat Pistons to increase compression?

to 6) sounds good. will do

to 7) this is something what i can do by myself i guess

Is there a link to the engine build Matrix? Sounds very promising to me.
The Problem is that i do not get write-Access to the slantsix.org Forum. So i can not ask things there.
Dont ask me why. Already wrote an admin an email to check my Registration.

here is a link to the Slant Six Forum Engine Build Matrix
Matrix for engine build combinations - Slant Six Forum

Silvolite pistons are stock style pistons, flat tops.
I have never ran across a stock slant motor in the US that did not have flat top pistons, perhaps slants destined for Europe had dished
pistons,,, yes flat tops would have higher compression, everything else being equal. below is a link to Silvolite stock style pistons
Silvolite Piston - 2.8L/3.2L/3.7L Chrysler (L6) 1960-69/70-74/60-87

the Tri carbs set up sounds interesting

for a distributor,,all you need is a electronic slant six distributor, one with a reluctor, not points, and a GM 4 pin HEI module, the one you linked
would work,, but you are spending a lot more than you really need to if you can find the parts and put them together yourself.
I will link a HEI conversion posting,
HEI Electronic Ignition Retrofit How-To - Slant Six Forum

in Dan's posts, when you see the word 'Here' run your cursor across that word, usually that is a link.

for choosing a cam, first decide where you want the power band and the intended use of the motor-vehicle.
Drag race or road course, high RPM, cam with big duration and big lift,, 260 @ .050 duration and higher, .500 and higher lift, need high compression and premium fuel
Towing or street only use, low to mid RPM, cam with smaller duration,, 212 @ .050 duration, .450 or so lift, can run on 8.5 compression and regular fuel
Slants like a LSA of around 106 and an installed intake centerline of 100 or so, once again there is good cam selection info here on FABO or look at .org when you get access

Last edited:
Bigger cam in the 260 degree range, header into 2 1/2 pipe, 2 brl intake and carb. Mill head .080, electronic ignition.
Now to get it to feel like 180-200 hp...you'll need gear and 2500 stall convertor.

145hp was a generous rating from th factory.
Torque is what makes the 225.

Thanks again for the Informations.

I get crazy on searching parts in the Internet.
But i found some parts which i think they could fit.
Can you guys do me a favor and check if they really do?

Pistons:
Sealed Power
OR
Silv-O-Lite

Do i need special pistonrings for them? Or simple Oversized from Rockauto for example?
Can you recommend one of those pistons?
Do both work with Stock Connection Rods?
Are both reliable?

(I can not find total Flat-Top-Pistions on the net to buy)

Cam + Drivetrain Kit:
Comp Cam

Headers:
Clifford Header

Converter:
I have found those ones, but i do not know if you (@Moparoffical) spoke about that
TCI
BossHog
TCI 2

Thanks a lot again

Sorry for asking those stupid questions. I dont want to make a mistake and throw money away

Thanks again for the Informations.

I get crazy on searching parts in the Internet.
But i found some parts which i think they could fit.
Can you guys do me a favor and check if they really do?

Pistons:
Sealed Power
OR
Silv-O-Lite

Do i need special pistonrings for them? Or simple Oversized from Rockauto for example?
Can you recommend one of those pistons?
Do both work with Stock Connection Rods?
Are both reliable?

(I can not find total Flat-Top-Pistions on the net to buy)

Cam + Drivetrain Kit:
Comp Cam

Headers:
Clifford Header

Converter:
I have found those ones, but i do not know if you (@Moparoffical) spoke about that
TCI
BossHog
TCI 2

Thanks a lot again

Sorry for asking those stupid questions. I dont want to make a mistake and throw money away

both of those pistons are .040 over size, that may be fine, but it is usually best to have the machine shop doing the work to verify
the bore size and what it will take to clean it up prior to ordering the replacement pistons.
the Silvolite pistons that you linked have a dish on the top per the notes on the page, the Silvolite pistons that I linked are flat tops, search at Sumitt by that part number.
Either of those piston manufacturers should be fine, I have used Silvolites previously.
You will need over sized rings to match the size of the over sized pistons
The cam you linked should be fine, will be handy for you as you will be getting many components in one package and that should help on shipping.
I think that cam will be a good fit going into a heavy vehicle like a 37 Plymouth, 212 @.050 will get you good end torque, a big cam like 260 @.050 will push the power band up high in the RPM range, nice on a drag strip in a light car not good on the street in a heavy car.

For the torque converter, you need to know:
1) what rear gear you will be running,
2) approximate weight of the vehicle
3) ratios in the 904
4) have made a final cam and other engine selections, compression ratio,,,

then contact one or more of the converter manufacturers, they will have technical persons that will be able to tell what converter they
have fits your needs. If you have the converter that came with the 904 and it is from a truck application, like the motor, you can consider
using the converter as is. I would spend that money on having a good shop go through the 904 and making sure it is in good working order first.
Consider a mild shift kit for the transmission to firm up the shifts, get a nice floor mounted shifter...run that for a while, then if you think a different stall speed is needed work with one the converter companies

oh yea, and concerning the exhaust header, I would wait until you have mounted the motor in the engine bay before making any decisions on the header.
Yours is a very custom install, it will be difficult to guess which exhaust routing would be best, or even fit. Kind of pricy, but another option is Dutra Duals, they are sourced from Austrailia, heavy cast iron, but something to consider.

dutra duals | Aussiespeed Street & Racing Products Australia

Last edited:
you got some good gas in Germany, deck block and get compression up to 9:1 and get your cam reground. distributor recurved, (HEI is not necessary but is practical) better intake and headers. imagine it as a long stroke leaning old BMW 6 without the OHC

Good point with the headers to wait till the engine is mounted.
I checked the dutras, but i have the to say that they are quite expensive :(

9:1? ok. will tell this the machineshop

i can not find the Silv-O-Lite Pistons in 0.40 oversize. Only standard. Contacted already somebody from the Netherlands (which is
the closest location to where i am living) if they have them on stock or if they can order them. Lets see.

-
Back