Strange Noise When Clutch is Slipped

-

thedartsport

Reaction score
Hey all,

Was hoping to get some help at identifying the noise before I pull the transmission back out. Noise happens when I have the clutch slipping, so it stops when pedal is fully pressed or released. Once I’m driving the noise stops and doesn’t make any more sounds when I’m changing gears. Only when going from a stop. Functionally everything works right besides the noise. Any ideas?

5.7 Hemi
A833OD
McLeod flywheel
RAM clutch, pressure plate
New TO bearing
Roller pilot bearing

Roughly 250 miles on new clutch and all. Been making the noise since the start. Can drive 70 mph no issue. Also, transmission was pulled apart, inspected, and resealed by previous owner, but I can only vouch for seeing the new gaskets and seals. Have not inspected internals. Shifts great no issue.

Hey all,

Was hoping to get some help at identifying the noise before I pull the transmission back out. Noise happens when I have the clutch slipping, so it stops when pedal is fully pressed or released. Once I’m driving the noise stops and doesn’t make any more sounds when I’m changing gears. Only when going from a stop. Functionally everything works right besides the noise. Any ideas?

5.7 Hemi
A833OD
McLeod flywheel
RAM clutch, pressure plate
New TO bearing
Roller pilot bearing

Roughly 250 miles on new clutch and all. Been making the noise since the start. Can drive 70 mph no issue. Also, transmission was pulled apart, inspected, and resealed by previous owner, but I can only vouch for seeing the new gaskets and seals. Have not inspected internals. Shifts great no issue.

Mechanical throw out bearing linkage or hydraulic throw out?

I would question the throwout bearing. Also- has the flywheel been properly resurfaced? Hard spots?

I would question the throwout bearing. Also- has the flywheel been properly resurfaced? Hard spots?
Yes it is a strange noise. I would put it on a hoist and have someone listen while you slip the clutch.

Sounds like the springs in the disc hitting the bolts on the flywheel.

Sounds like the springs in the disc hitting the bolts on the flywheel.
Does it do it when you just first press in the clutch pedal or when you push it to the floor?
Does it the way I demonstrated above. In gear first starting off. Fully engaged/disengaged it makes no noise.
Can’t really say when I first hit it in neutral.

Does it the way I demonstrated above. In gear first starting off. Fully engaged/disengaged it makes no noise.
Like I suggested, putting it up in the air will isolate the noise and make it easier to find. We did that at the dealership every day. Time is money. Common sense diagnosis is the key.

I don't know if you can do it with your setup but I have heard of people putting the clutch plate in backwards.

If it make the noise when you load the throw out bearing its most likely the bearing. Or the throw out bearing fork is not lined up and you may be hearing the input shaft bearing?

-
Back