Strange Speedometer Cable

-

Dingos Garage

Reaction score
the speedo in my 1975 plymouth duster always worked fine, until after a recent brake line job it stopped working dead cold. I figured something got jostled around while routing a brake line through a tight spot so I traced the cable back up from the transmission and found this weird...cylinder? it has two screw on parts where either ends of the cable connect, and in the middle there is this tiny impeller screw. it seems like the two parts are magnetic? they don't connect in any mechanical way. Does anyone know what this is? some sort of sending unit? a converter? Alien tracking device? How should I put it back together? Should I just convert to a regular speedometer cable? I'm sure someone on here will know.

0-17.jpeg

0-16.jpeg

0-15.jpeg

Does another cable connect from it to the speedo?

If it had an electrical connector, there was a maintenance reminder. Dont recall what car used them.
Or it could be a unit for correcting a speedo. Usually those were little gearboxes.

During a "energy crunch' period there was a thingy that turned on a lamp at a certain speed ( 65 mph maybe ). Regardless what it is you can omit it with a new single piece speedo cable. Do the research, identify what you have before you order though. The size of the collector nut at trans end changed again somewhere around 75. Other late model owners have found incorrect application charts in aftermarket. Cable received wouldn't hook up.

If cruise control it would definitely be aftermarket. Majority of those used a magnetic pick up at drive shaft so to be universal in application.

I recall another post in the last 2 years asking about a "thingy" in the speedo cable. But if it is between spedo cable from trans to speedo cable to speedometer I would think it is an add-on like mentioned above.

-
Back