Street Racing Setups

-

Rmoore

Reaction score
Anyone actually know the different chassis setups for street racing verses track racing. I know Mike Murrillo has been racing NHRA for years. But when he started running Street Outlaws he payed Chief and Murder Nova to set his mustang up for the street. So there is a differenve.. I know tire size and type. Just wonder what actually chassis adjustments to their four links they actually make ?? And front and rear shocks adjustments ? Obviously there are a lot of racers that do not know the answer either...

Aside from larger and softer tires everything else that would give you more traction on the street you want. Now those guys run a prepped surface, at least by the end of the night but traction is only part of it. They are also running 2500+HP cars on the street. electronic traction controls, boost override, data acquisition, additional NOS. These guys are on another level. These guys can tune timing and fuel curves in each gear as well as power adders. etc

I wonder if part of this question relates to meeting class specs for the track vs."anything goes" on the street.

Another thought would be the length of the run- IIRC, those guys are running 1/8 mile on the street...if they're running the full 1320' on the strip, they would definitely need to make adjustments to gearing, aero and the tune as well.

I can’t reslly answer your question but here in Cincinnati we have a track that has a reputation for not handling fast cars. Daddy Dave and Kye Kelly came down and hooked up just fine.

If they aren’t doing the chassis work themselves then they got someone in their garage that really knows their stuff.

Also a lot of these turbo cars are not running typical drag racing gears. They have first gear set up like a highway cruiser and they usually are using a 3:xx in the rear end.

Watch Radial racing. Those guys are running 3 second 1/8 miles with no wheelie bar.

Also a lot of these turbo cars are not running typical drag racing gears. They have first gear set up like a highway cruiser and they usually are using a 3:xx in the rear end.

Watch Radial racing. Those guys are running 3 second 1/8 miles with no wheelie bar.

They have to run a taller gear due to trap speed and loading/building boost in the turbo.

I can’t reslly answer your question but here in Cincinnati we have a track that has a reputation for not handling fast cars. Daddy Dave and Kye Kelly came down and hooked up just fine.
If they aren’t doing the chassis work themselves then they got someone in their garage that really knows their stuff.
That's exactly what I'm talking about I really don't care who does the work but would sure like to know what they do

Yes that is very good point and they do run those very expensive Transmissions

I think torque converter plays a big role in street/no prep vs. track.

Can you say more about that? Not doubting you, I'm just not sure why a particular stall would be preferable for one place and something different at the other...

I ran the same set up for both but sway bars on the street

Why? Was this just so you'd have a better chance when trying to outrun the fuzz on the way home? :)

Can you say more about that? Not doubting you, I'm just not sure why a particular stall would be preferable for one place and something different at the other...

Most of the big boys are running a bolt together torque converter. It can easily be pulled and rebuilt or adjusted. They can unbolt it and change the stator.

For instance, some cars like a 5,500 flash converter on a well prepped track. That same flash might blow the tires off on the street or a no prep track. But say a 3,500 flash wouldn’t. Make sense?

Why? Was this just so you'd have a better chance when trying to outrun the fuzz on the way home? :)

Most of the big boys are running a bolt together torque converter. It can easily be pulled and rebuilt or adjusted. They can unbolt it and change the stator.

For instance, some cars like a 5,500 flash converter on a well prepped track. That same flash might blow the tires off on the street or a no prep track. But say a 3,500 flash wouldn’t. Make sense?

Yep! lol Actually the 90/10's work good on the street and it doesn't dive in a corner but the inside front tends to lift so a big sway bar helps a lot.

MRGTX said:

Click the reply button, take note that when you type, your reply should be outside of the quote tags. This makes for easy reading and not searching the text within or worse, not being read because it looks like you never actually replied.
;)

Your answer was;

Correct?

-
Back