Street Radials. Speed ratings

-

Kent mosby

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have Mickey Thompson street ss drag radials for the strip and I want to get some street tires on separate rims. BFG radial TAs are rated to 112 mph. Cobra and Mastercraft Avenger are rated to 118 mph. Only Hoosier Pro street are rated for 130 mph. Are there any other options for 275/60-15s that are rated for 130? I don't plan for 130 on the street but I figured a higher speed rating would be better in case I take them to the track as well.

Those ratings are for SUSTAINED speeds. You might hit 130 for a few seconds on the drags strip or possibly a minute or 2 on an open road if you are wild. I wouldnt worry

Those ratings are for SUSTAINED speeds. You might hit 130 for a few seconds on the drags strip or possibly a minute or 2 on an open road if you are wild. I wouldnt worry
Then I guess any of the above would work as well as the Mickey Thompson Sportsman pro. Thanks

Any street "drag" radial will have very limited open grooves, for traction. If wet performance is important, you just need regular street style radials.

We are pretty wet in Idaho and I wanted better wet traction.
If your concern is wet traction why are you the least bit concerned about speed rating? Are you planning on going at a high rate of speed in the rain? Speed rating should only be an issue if you plan to race on those same tires AND can get going fast enough where the tire speed rating should be taken into account.

We have plenty of dry sunny days, driving a 512 CI car on wet streets is the last thing you should be doing.
and putting a regular street tire on the strip is a waste of tire and time.

Coker Tire carries some Vintage Racing tires from Michelin that are V rated. Not cheap, but I might take a look at them as a performance option on a 15" rim.

I am not planning on driving fast in the rain. That is just plain stupid. I just don't want to change the tires with the weather changes that day. If I had a tire that I could drive in the rain safely at normal posted speeds and also could go fast on the backroads when the weather is good, That would be nice.

I am not planning on driving fast in the rain. That is just plain stupid. I just don't want to change the tires with the weather changes that day. If I had a tire that I could drive in the rain safely at normal posted speeds and also could go fast on the backroads when the weather is good, That would be nice.
I would do my testing on Hwy 90 at 3:00 am after scouting for cops. lol
When I lived in Hayden in the late 70's , HWY 95 from Hayden to CDA was a good testing ground, no traffic back then. lol
My buddy has an airstrip on his property, they test and race there just about every weekend.
I'm busy fishing, boating, shooting and hunting in my spare time.
The Mickey T Sportsman would be a good tire for what you're wanting to do. A good looking tire too !

I’m not a big fan of dual purpose tires when the engine power level goes up. Tires for driving the road and tires for the track are the way to go IMO. It’s a low hassle issue. I’m also a not a big fan of the higher speed rated tires in wet weather. There wet weather ability lacks.

I’m not a big fan of dual purpose tires when the engine power level goes up. Tires for driving the road and tires for the track are the way to go IMO. It’s a low hassle issue. I’m also a not a big fan of the higher speed rated tires in wet weather. There wet weather ability lacks.
Agree, I suggested in his other thread to get the Mickey T Sportsman street tire and for him to get a set of slicks for the track.
He'd be dollars ahead when the wear factor is taken into count and better ET's at the track.
A much safer street tire too.

Agree, I suggested in his other thread to get the Mickey T Sportsman street tire and for him to get a set of slicks for the track.
He'd be dollars ahead when the wear factor is taken into count and better ET's at the track.
A much safer street tire too.
You are why I began to look into this. Thanks for the nudge.

I forgot you were in Idaho.
Cruising down the freeway here at 90 is not uncommon at all .
I just run a good Michelin on the street. Nothing really wide needed.
Then I have MT Drag radials mounted and ready to go for both cars for the strip .

I forgot you were in Idaho.
Cruising down the freeway here at 90 is not uncommon at all .
I just run a good Michelin on the street. Nothing really wide needed.
Then I have MT Drag radials mounted and ready to go for both cars for the strip .
Up north, Just outside Coeur d'Alene.

Hit 130 a couple times on the way down to The Nats this year, second time a State Boy was merging on as we went by.

When Montana ditched their “reasonable and prudent” speed limits, tire speed ratings over 100mph became pointless for 98% of drivers buying tires here in North America.

Speed ratings are almost like hp ratings. 112mph vs 118mph. 265hp vs 271hp. Almost entirely for marketing reasons. If you’re going to ‘feel’ better rolling around on 118mph tires, buy them but, as others have pointed out, you’re not going to be travelling at 115mph for sustained speeds to justify buying the 118mph tires over the 112mph tires.

Can you picture this classic scene?
Tommy: Chicken wings! Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.
Ted Nelson: Go on, I'm listening.
Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.
Ted Nelson: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?
Ted Nelson: What's your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I seen it a hundred times.
Ted Nelson: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of ****. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me

And ....?

Caught him out of the corner of my eye and probably only going about 90 as we passed him. He just watched us for awhile and then merged off on another highway. For out of state people, Ohio Highway Patrol are relentless in their search for your money !

-
Back