Streetfire Ignition Only Likes Accel Coil

-

Canuck340

Reaction score
Anyone know what is different in an Accel Super Coil vs MSD or Pertronix?

Reason for asking, upgraded ignition in Duster 340 to Streetfire box, MSD Distributor and Blaster 2 Coil. Car runs for around ten minutes then dies. Went through two blaster 2s(.7ohm) Tried pertronix flamethrower(1.5ohm). Worked for under 10 mins. Meanwhile, each time coil goes I pull over and swap back in my buddies old Accel Super Stock chrome coil(1.4ohm). Car runs mint with no issues until my coil comes in at store and same deal over again. Have been on tech support with MSD, tested components and verified wired properly, coil mounted vertical (case still cold when dies). Since it kills any other brand of coil assume maybe something with box but why would old Accel work when other new ones all last 10mins? What am I missing???

I've been having a similar problem with my Mallory Hyfire box. Not sure its the same problem, but I'm very suspicious of MSD now. I had luck getting my car to run when I isolated the box from electrical ground, just threw a shop towel underneath it. Here's the thread of all of my problems with the box. Still waiting for warranty number two to come back.
Mallory Hyfire Ignition problem

A primary side of a regular coil is designed to run on a continuous 8volts or so, with the negative side switched. The coil in this system is just a transformer with about 3000:1 step-up ratio, or more; so if you input 8 volts, you might get 24000 output.It will run like this for several decades.
But a Capacitor Discharge Amp, likes E-core coils. Most CDI systems are firing 400 to 500 or more volts into the coil, multiple times below 3000 rpm. Stepped up by a regular coil, this might be capable of delivering 120,000volts, But the wire inside that regular coil, while possibly surviving in single-strike mode, I'd be surprised to see it survive in multi-strike mode; it is a very fine wire.
So if you have a CDI system, you need a CDI compatible coil.
Why then does the SuperCoil survive? IDK. I guess it's living up to it's name.

Buy a $5 junkyard Ford TFI coil and live happily ever after.

That Chinese MSD stuff has a high failure rate....that's all the Street fire stuff and more.

AJ is on the right track, use CDI coil. Also, no mention of plug wires,, higher peak may result in flash over and plug wire core burnouts.

HEI ignition and TFI coil is reliable and sufficient for a well tuned engine. CDI is a solution for 2 cycle engines, and engines poorly tuned on rich side, plug foulers.

Last edited:
Thanks all for responses.

Issue Resolved (Cross Fingers).

For those that are interested here is what ended up happening. Took ohm meter and checked all the coils...actual resistance was significantly off from advertised with the old school Accel coil being highest (MSD=1.2 not .7, Pertronix=1.6 not 1.5 while old Accel was over 2 not 1.4). Because had no other ideas put inline resistor with the lower coil to total 2.4 ohms and duster ran. Tests showed system would work with any resistance over two. Maybe too much current for something weak in box otherwise? All guessing as I’m not an electrician. Regardless we put in another streetfire box and has run few hours now with the MSD blaster coil.

-
Back