Stripe Decal?

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Phoenix Graphics sells a stripe kit as a decal for the 65. Question: How do they account for the ridge on the hood while keeping the sides straight? Does the decal bow out and taper down where the ridge subsides? Would like a stripe and for $119, If I foul up the installation, I could just peel it off.
amf97.jpg

Just curious, how hard would it be to measure, tape it off and paint it. I believe what they are selling is a pattern, the decal was a problem because of the center in the hood. I may try to do mine myself, if the weather every clears here in central Carolina

No problem at all, but they are selling a decal, and there is a stencil kit under a different part number. If you mess up a paint job, it's a little harder to go back. And what is the stencil kit, a roll of 1/2-3/4 tape (depends on who you ask dimensions from)?

I might be wrong, but was told that they didn't offer the decals for certain models because they were hard to apply to the hood. Have a friend who had to make a few incisions to get it to lay down probably. I plan on just using tape and spraying mine once I get to that point.
If I'm wrong, sorry.

I stand corrected. Just checked their site. They offer the decals as well as the stencil. My feeble brain must have read something else.

Just Paint it on and be done with it.... It'll last the life of the cars paint job...
And, that picture is wrong.... The Stripes flow out from the top of the hoods nose "PLYMOUTH" emblem... As the CEO of Plymouth said when introducing the new Barracuda... "Good ideas flow from Plymouth !!!" The stripe is Not suppose to be below the Plymouth badge/emblem.... Unless of course You want it that way and are not worried about factory correctness... Just saying ⚓

Where does the stripe stop at the rear of a 65 barracuda. I saw one a while back that came below the trunk to the bottom of the rear valance. I remember when I saw it my first thought was it didn't look correct. But where does it stop. Bottom of trunk, behind the rear bumper or to the bottom of the rear valance. Could someone post a picture of the rear that is correct?

Where does the stripe stop at the rear of a 65 barracuda. I saw one a while back that came below the trunk to the bottom of the rear valance. I remember when I saw it my first thought was it didn't look correct. But where does it stop. Bottom of trunk, behind the rear bumper or to the bottom of the rear valance. Could someone post a picture of the rear that is correct?

Stripe is correct... Stops at bumper... The "Angry fish" sicker to the left is not... Just there for fun....⚓
Angry_Fish_C.jpg

That is what I thought. Thanks for the info.

Just Paint it on and be done with it.... It'll last the life of the cars paint job...
And, that picture is wrong.... The Stripes flow out from the top of the hoods nose "PLYMOUTH" emblem... As the CEO of Plymouth said when introducing the new Barracuda... "Good ideas flow from Plymouth !!!" The stripe is Not suppose to be below the Plymouth badge/emblem.... Unless of course You want it that way and are not worried about factory correctness... Just saying ⚓

Ill rephrase the question. How do they do the decal over the ridge?

Cliff, this look familiar? Dealer painted, could be regional thing as even the stripe dimensions were not stadard across examples
mopp_2011_1965_barracuda_002%2Bmagically_restored%2B.jpg

Ill rephrase the question. How do they do the decal over the ridge?

Cliff, this look familiar? Dealer painted, could be regional thing as even the stripe dimensions were not stadard across examples
mopp_2011_1965_barracuda_002%2Bmagically_restored%2B.jpg

My stripe code is on my fender tag & window sticker... Not done by dealer.... Being a simple stripe... A lot were done by dealers... I know the owner of that car pictured... Don't look at restored photos... Look at 64/65 magazine review pictures.... You will NOT see the stripe below the Plymouth hood badge!!!! But if that's how you like it... Do it any way you want it !!!!!
From the factory... It was Paint... Not a decal !

Last edited:
When you think about it, how many people will remember the difference of how the stripe was 50 years ago. I do think it is funny that so much was done at the dealership. Do the dealership do things like that today?

When you think about it, how many people will remember the difference of how the stripe was 50 years ago. I do think it is funny that so much was done at the dealership. Do the dealership do things like that today?

I Hate to say this.... I was there 50+ years ago... Tomorrow I'll be 71.... Do the math... Sigh~
Since my first 65 273-4, I've had the 66 426 Hemi... 67 440 GTX.... 69 340 Dart Swinger.... And others... But am back to the 273-4 and loving it .... ⚓

And No... Dealers are not like the old days.... Volume & $$$$$ now days.... ⚓

Last edited:
My stripe code is on my fender tag & window sticker... Not done by dealer.... Being a simple stripe... A lot were done by dealers...
Is the factory stripe code 310? I have heard dealers back then really did alot of stuff for pre-sale prep, like disk brake installations, down to setting hot-lash of the rockers of the slants! Imagine the work and clean up of such an operation. " We just got 200 new cars shipped and our garage is bussssy!" Ask your friend who owns that car in the pic why he went to great lengths restoring that bad boy and then missed that paint stripe dimension. Such as life....

Wow Cliff. Happy Birthday a day early. I'll be 65 in January. Retired at 64 and am regretting taking the part time job. Should have finished my car first.

Is the factory stripe code 310? I have heard dealers back then really did alot of stuff for pre-sale prep, like disk brake installations, down to setting hot-lash of the rockers of the slants! Imagine the work and clean up of such an operation. " We just got 200 new cars shipped and our garage is bussssy!" Ask your friend who owns that car in the pic why he went to great lengths restoring that bad boy and then missed that paint stripe dimension. Such as life....

code for 1965... Painted Racing Stripe Barracuda ONLY... 284
costing $31.25 (window sticker on pricing)

Joe's Brother who did some of the work... "Assumed" the stripe went the whole hood...
That is at least what he told me when I asked about it a few years ago...

Contact "challengergary" he can make you a paint mask & then paint the stripe on

-
Back