Stripe removal methods?

-

MY340

Reaction score
What methods have you guys had success with in removing old stripes and not damaging the paint. I would like to remove the front side stripes on my Duster as they have some slight damage. I have a new stripe kit 72 style and I'd like to replace at least the front stripes if not all the striping. The other stripe areas are in good condition so if I can just replace the front fender stripes I'd like to start with them.

Does the hot air dryer method work well on old stripes? Also what should I use to remove any old adhesive that is left in the stripe area?

Thanks

Eraser wheel on die grinder probably the quickest.Heat gun works,take a little
more patience than i usually have on stuff like that,depending on age of the stripes.

Wax and grease remover to finish off,DX330 PPG works well.

Hair dryer and WD40 will do the trick.

Do the stripes outside in the sun if you can...they will stay warm once you heat them up. Peal them off at a 45 deg angle to the body to keep them from ripping to much.

Spray the WD40 on and let is sit for a few minutes before wiping down....repeat as necessary. The WD will remove the old glue.

Always worked great on all my motorcycle projects.

Mop

The eraser wheel, as mentioned, is your best bet. For cleaning up the old adhesive use a good wax and grease remover.

P.S.

Be patient...it takes time.

Start with one section at a time and complete it before moving on.

Good luck.

Mop

Started on removing the front side stripes which are slightly damaged. The damaged areas don't peel off well. I got all of the passenger but a 5" long spot with a heat lamp and hot air dryer then removed the adhesive with gasoline and my thumbnail.:-D

The drivers side is being real stubborn in spots so I called it quits for now Called NAPA and ordered the 3M stripe off wheel kit. Will finish removal next weekend and install the new front side stripes.

Thanks for your help guys!

3M Woodgrain and Stripe Remover works when nothing else will. The eraser works the majority of the time, though.
Dallas

Started on removing the front side stripes which are slightly damaged. The damaged areas don't peel off well. I got all of the passenger but a 5" long spot with a heat lamp and hot air dryer then removed the adhesive with gasoline and my thumbnail.:-D

The drivers side is being real stubborn in spots so I called it quits for now Called NAPA and ordered the 3M stripe off wheel kit. Will finish removal next weekend and install the new front side stripes.

Thanks for your help guys!

Remember to wash it and wipe it clean with a good wax and grease remover, which is why I avoid anything with silicones. If I'm wiping it down might as well use something that will clean it to promote adhesion for the next set.

-
Back