stripper?

-
Here is my $0.02. If you are completely blowing the car apart, I would (and did) use paint stripper. As you can see, I had some really good help! If the car is going to be completely disassembled, the parts could be thoroughly cleaned off and rinsed; leaving no problems for the future. If you don't completely disassemble the car, I would not use stripper. IMHO, there is too much of a chance that some of the chemical could hide in a nook or cranny and cause some unpleasant problems later. Then, I'd go with 80 grit sandpaper on a DA. Lots of 80 grit. I see people using a sanding disc too long thinking they are being wise and frugal. "This sanding disc is still cutting OK. Too Early to change it." If you use the disc past the point where it is cutting well, you are wasting time. When I feel the disc is no longer cutting well, I put on a new one. It may cost a few bucks more, but it will be faster.

View attachment 1715663443

The trick is to tape all seams and not let it get on anything but the outer skin of the panel. Notice I didn't even strip around the roof.

DSCN0009.JPG

DSCN0384.JPG

DSCN0387.JPG

DSCN0388.JPG

100_0430.JPG

100_0431.JPG

100_0432.JPG

100_0433.JPG

No compressor then buy an electric DA as mentioned. I have one I use at my Dad's. I had a big compressor and tools set up before I sold my house. Now it's all packed until I move south.

Trailer 1 (2).jpeg

No compressor then buy an electric DA as mentioned. I have one I use at my Dad's. I had a big compressor and tools set up before I sold my house. Now it's all packed until I move south.

View attachment 1715663614
I have never seen an electric DA! I am also going to try those discs mentioned.
Couple years ago I had a ;71 Duster with Original OM green paint. I couldhardly make a dent in it with 80 grit DA. There was no rust under the primer and I said, screw this. Sometimes those OEM finishes, primers are so tough. I just took it down to the bare metal where there need of it for epoxy and then filler or a big scratch.

Just used this stuff on my fender with original paint and worked great.Brush it on waited 5 min and scraped off.One coat for paint and another for primer.It took just over an hour for the fender.No toxic smell and swept it up like dry paper when I was done.

View attachment 1715663387

Looked this stuff up but I don't think it's for sale here in the states. I think you should start up your own paint stripper cartel and start smuggling this stuff down to us :D

The trick is to tape all seams and not let it get on anything but the outer skin of the panel. Notice I didn't even strip around the roof.
I will totally agree with you on that. If that level of care is taken, there would be no problem.

Electric DA sander. Gets rid of the annoying compressor, eliminates the dangers of wet chemicals, and works great.

Harbor freight has them for 40 bucks

View attachment 1715663157
I see that is actually a corded DA not a right angle grinder or polisher. I will check HF, I see a battery one on FEE bay but we know we need corded! I thought you we talking about a palm sander at first.

-
Back