Stripping Interior Garnish Trim Suggestions

-

gerahead

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
I have to strip and repaint all of the metal interior garnish molding pieces in my 71 Dart project. Has anyone done this? How did you do it? I have used 3M paint stripping discs on larger areas successfully. These might be a little tougher to use on the unwieldy trim pieces. Sanding them seems to be a cumbersome operation. I thought about chemically stripping them, but I have never used that method on anything. I am interested in any suggestions that have worked for you guys. Thanks in advance! L8r!

Jim

I bead blasted all my trim to remove all of the original paint. Hence the new paint applied well.

Murray, thanks. Unfortunately, my blasting cabinet is limited to only the shortest pieces and don't have additional blasting capability. Otherwise, I'd be all over this! L8r!

Jim

I’ve chemical stripped quite a few pieces and while at autozone last week picked up a can in aerosol form. Seems a bit more mild than the brush on but for the job done and application was a breeze. Grab a drop cloth at the ol dollar store and spritz them down. Done.

worked really well on previous owners spray paint, just took a little more rubbing with factory finishes.

I’ve chemical stripped quite a few pieces and while at autozone last week picked up a can in aerosol form. Seems a bit more mild than the brush on but for the job done and application was a breeze. Grab a drop cloth at the ol dollar store and spritz them down. Done.

worked really well on previous owners spray paint, just took a little more rubbing with factory finishes.

Thank you, sir!

Here is the one I tried.

image.jpg

-
Back