Stroked motor oil levels?

-
I filled my motor up with 7 quarts and then cut off my dip stick tube so it read correctly.

This also lowered the level in the pan to get the oil away from the crank.

Yep, There is a chance your "advertised as 7 quarts" won't really hold that amount. If it truly holds 7 quarts, I would put in 6. Lower oil level= less windage, less aeration, more hp. And you still have a quart or 2 more in there than stock.

The whole idea of running a deep pan is to move the oil away from the spinning crank.

On the street 5 qts has always been enough in my 7 qt pan............ because my engine is never at 7200 for more than two or three seconds atta time.
BTW;
the oil does not have to be touching the spinning crank to be picked up by it and smashed to bits. The tray mostly, prevents that. I moved mine down as far as it would go, on the ARP studs..

My roadrace pan has side sumps instead of dropping straight down. There is no way I could use a drag-race pan in my car, and still drive the chit out of it like I do. My RR-pan got so beat up I finally fabbed up a skid plate for it.
I see your pan is beat-up worse than mine.......

In my opinion, you run a deeper, larger capacity pan for two reasons: more capacity, and to get the oil farther away from the crank (particularly useful in a stroker application).
Personally, I would run six in the pan, (one more than a stock hemi pan) plus filter of course, and keep a very close eye on a MECHANICAL oil pressure gauge (electrics are too slow) during a simulated panic stop. If pressure drops, add a quart..
Engine dyno tests have shown substantial horsepower increase from lowered oil levels, along with more stabile oil pressure, but those levels won't work in a car that starts, stops, and turns.

I don't have a stock dipstick to compare to. The real question is??? Are stroker motors different from stock motors for oil levels?? Since their geometry is different, it should be. Like I mentioned, I may be overthinking this.
You're not overthinking you're seeking needed knowledge so It depends on how you're going to drive it. Think of it this way, would you want to put small oil capacity on something you just spent a bunch of money on ? Stoker engines do operate different than stock stroke in same block, piston speeds are higher, there is more stress created. My 471 is getting external oiling with an 8 quart pan & that's because I want it to live a long long time.

FWIW, @AndyF and Chuck Senatore both question the use of louvred windage trays with a deep racing oil pan. Any thoughts on that? Both of them wrote books on Big Block Mopar engines. This is making me think twice on whether I should use it?????
Yeah I'm reading that right now, I think he says there okay but not the greatest, he doesn't really get into detail

So I did some homework,

My oil pan holds 6 qts to 1.500 below mounting surface, 7 quarts at 1.125 inch below mount. Rubber gasket is .125 inch as well. The windage tray is 1.500 deep total. Dipstick full is 1.500 below block, low is 2.000 inch below block. So that means that at full on the dipstick I have about 6.33 quarts in the pan and whatever in the filter.
So, on my dipstick at full the oil is below the windage tray, just barely until I start the engine and the oil level would drop.
This tells me that I should keep the oil at full, confirming that my dipstick is close. Keep it full, not overfull. Windage tray is installed.

So I did some homework,

My oil pan holds 6 qts to 1.500 below mounting surface, 7 quarts at 1.125 inch below mount. Rubber gasket is .125 inch as well. The windage tray is 1.500 deep total. Dipstick full is 1.500 below block, low is 2.000 inch below block. So that means that at full on the dipstick I have about 6.33 quarts in the pan and whatever in the filter.
So, on my dipstick at full the oil is below the windage tray, just barely until I start the engine and the oil level would drop.
This tells me that I should keep the oil at full, confirming that my dipstick is close. Keep it full, not overfull. Windage tray is installed.
Yeah good work sounds right.

By chance do you have a half inch pick up now?

no , 3/8" I don't really race the car much. Hopefully, next year 5-6 nights for fun.

Yep - the farther away from the crank you can keep the oil, the better off you are. If you could put the top of the oil 3 feet below the crank, that would be great! But reality is you can't so you use a combo of a crank scraper (windage tray) and oil pan "features" to minimize the oil flinging around in the bottom of the engine. Don't forget the crank scraper is just that: it is designed to "scrape" the oil off the swinging crank and, working with the pan, not let it re-enter the airstream and cause heat/friction (power loss). The pan cannot do this by itself as it is just an empty space/volume. The "ledge", kickout, or dam on the right side of the pan helps prevent the spinning crank from picking that oil back up (remember the crank spins CW looking from the front of the engine) but the scraper tries to get the oil off the crank and send it to the pan in the first place. The "magic" in the scraper comes from the various shapes, windows, louvers, screens, etc. That takes a LOT of development testing.

As to more volume...it's there for more than one reason: higher volume insures oil will be there to cover the pickup under extreme conditions (high rpm or sloshing in a road race course or?) and more oil will run cooler than less oil. IF it is kept away from the spinning crank! In drag racing, temp is not the issue as the engine doesn't run long enough to matter. Keeping the pickup covered is all that matters. Hope that makes sense!!

I would like to see a dyno session without one, with one, and with a crank scraper. If you're concerned the level may be too high you could use a 7 quart pan with 6 quarts in it. That would drop the level a small amount so it wouldn't run into the crank. LOL

That's basically what I did on my street 416. I used a Milodon kickout pan and louvered windage tray, which I did have to clearance (the louvers only) for rod bolt clearance. I did some oil level measuring (with water) on the bench and decided that running it one quart low on the stick had the oil considerably lower than the windage tray, static, so I knew with the oil pump turning and oil circulating that it would be even lower. That made the total capacity, with filter, 8 quarts. Had zero problems, with 10w-30 oil, 75lbs at throttle, HV pump and loose clearances.

-
Back