Stroker twin turbo

-

NorwayCuda69

Reaction score
Hi..

im buildin an engine for my 69 cuda. so i decided to do something rear. the donor for this engine is a 360 la or a 360 magum not decidet witch 1 to use. but the idea is to make a stroker 408 (4" stroke and 0.30 over) the turbos kit im using is from www.ssautochrome.com its the firebird 350 tpi kit that i have mashined the headers to fit mopar std bolt heads. no here comes he problems.. the botom part of engine what is the best block for performance use gen1 a or the magnum..And what type of compressor pistons, rods, and crank should i use. cast is light waight but then why H-beem and so on.. ive heard 1k of different ideas. lets figure it out for real.. :cheers:

the headers for this kit worked on a dodge motor what did you do to make them work do you have pics.

would it be possible to get this and run a low psi on a 10.1-10.5 compression motor

I'm in the act of building a 360 motor with efi and a turbo. The short block should be done next week. 1976 LA motor with a Hughes stud girdle and Pro-Gram main caps. Probe forged pistons and H-beam rods. 8.5:1 compression--and I'm using Edelbrock LA aluminum heads. I'm looking at 600 hp with a Turbonetics t70 turbo. No need to stroke.

Trying to run a turbo on a 10:1 or 10.5:1 compression motor is asking for major detonation.

i have kb107 pistons and i want to use what i have is it possible or what can i do? maybe stock forged pistons?

I'm in the act of building a 360 motor with efi and a turbo. The short block should be done next week. 1976 LA motor with a Hughes stud girdle and Pro-Gram main caps. Probe forged pistons and H-beam rods. 8.5:1 compression--and I'm using Edelbrock LA aluminum heads. I'm looking at 600 hp with a Turbonetics t70 turbo. No need to stroke.

Trying to run a turbo on a 10:1 or 10.5:1 compression motor is asking for major detonation.

What kind of boost are you looking to run? 600hp seems like a low estimate. With that stout of a short block, and the Edelbrock heads, I would venture that in N/A, your horsepower would be in the 350 range. 15 lbs of boost, theoretically, should put you at 700HP, in theory.

True, 700 hp wouldn't be a problem if I wanted to run that much boost, but keeping the charge cool would probably necessitate water or methanol injection, and I really don't want to get into those complications/expense. I'm planning to run 8-10 lbs of boost under normal driving conditions, with the ability to crank it to 12-15 if I go to the track. This is going into my '71 Scamp which will be my daily driver when its ready. 600 hp is already crazy power for a street car, so 700 would just be overkill. :toothy10:

I have built 2 twin turbo small blocks. One was a 360 LA with 7.8 compression with ported iron heads and 2 T-04s. This one would run on pump gas with low boost but we always ran it on c-12. It made 600 pretty easy with 600lb/ft at 13 pounds of boost. It took forever to spool up because the motor made no power n/a. It had its issues with one of the turbos coming unglued at speed destroying the motor by feeding it parts of the turbo. I rebuilt it with a set of zero deck SRP forged pistons for a C/R of 9.25:1. I feel that its ok to use a higher compression if you can keep it from detonating. We have used alcohol injection with great success. I guess my point is, when you run more compression you can run less boost to achieve your goal. This has multiple advantages, one is the base motor makes more power and can spool the turbos faster.Two the less you compress the air the less heat it will produce and that will help with detonation. Three, turbos typically are more efficient at lower boost levels and produce more power per pound at lower levels than at higher levels of boost. Four, power production is multiplied by percentage, if it makes more base power it will show up exponentially on boost.

The second motor was a 340 with 2 t-60 turbos a 15 pounds of boost and made 880hp at the rear wheels with a stock block and no girdle or block fill and it made over 150 passes with no issues what-so-ever. I would not hesitate to make that kind of power again with a stock block. Turbos make linear power and are easier at big power levels than say nitrous or supercharging. Nitrous comes on with a pressure spike that is incredible and instantanious. Supercharging puts a sizeable load on the crank and main bearings from the load of the belt turning the compressor.

And turbochargers create a generous amount of heat....

-
Back