Stroking a 318 to a 390

-
Checked the deck height on sunday morning...as I bought this block off craigslist so i have no info and the deck height...I could see that it had been decked...
So using the magnetic bridge and dial indicator ...i got from -.002 to -.005 deck height on the 8 pistons....close enough for me....

time will tell....

I always get excited when I see 318 stroker threads. Mostly because when I built mine I always heard "ya could've spent the same money on a 408".

Running a Scat 9000 crank, Scat I beam rods with Icon 847 forged -23cc dish. At zero deck my compression is calculated at 9.74:1. I would have liked to get that compression to 10.5. Also just purchased a set of Eddie heads ported(stage 4 shady dell 276cfm @ 500lift) with 2.05 1.60s.

Great build keep it up. I also had issues where I had to go to a .001 oversized main

10428386_10152589136070470_1364240434199486599_o.jpg

48E370B1-B933-4625-A636-26CBCCBB0029.jpeg
162B8A28-4080-47BD-87B3-92F444299782.jpeg
At last, the moment has arrived, getting ready to run it in...

Last edited:
We stepped down on the cam to a standard XE274 so as to reel the rpm range a little back the more sensible side. There’s a few other grinds I probably would have leaned towards, but if this were my build I’d be using a hydraulic roller block along with anyone of the high lift, short duration cams available. We’ve got enough cylinder pressure to put the low rpm torque back up to where it needs to be, though.

We stepped down on the cam to a standard XE274 so as to reel the rpm range a little back the more sensible side. There’s a few other grinds I probably would have leaned towards, but if this were my build I’d be using a hydraulic roller block along with anyone of the high lift, short duration cams available. We’ve got enough cylinder pressure to put the low rpm torque back up to where it needs to be, though.
Solid roller... ;)

got the pistons and rods mated...i kicked those spiro locks butt....

the rings are not file to fit....checked a couple...top ring I am getting .018,,,,and second .020....

cast crank does not use narrowed bearing...this thing will be done soon....at least the basic short block
have to figure out what color to paint it......
View attachment 1715511843
Those pistons look awful loose in the bores!

Dump truck
Yeah, it's pretty close, rolling weight is around 4100 pounds. We've had a bad MSD distributor rear it's head but we're back on track again, about to finalize the tune and test drive it. Three inch pipes with a Dynomax X-flow are going together for that task, but break in worked out to the good. It sure sounds like a bear with open headers on it!

Last edited:
Yeah, it's pretty close, rolling weight is around 4100 pounds. We've had a bad MSD distributor rear it's head but we're back on track again, about to finalize the tune and test drive it. Three inch pipes with a Dynomax X-flow are going together for that task, but break in worked out to the good. It sure sounds like a bear with open headers on it!
What model MSD? I have a race ready model that was used on my engine before I bought it. I have heard the import MSD dizzys have a bad reputation....at least in my oval track world.

On an update, the MSD box is actually good, but we’re running on an HEI right now. Comp 274Xe break in went perfectly after we got it to light off. I’ll post some video onto you tube so we can share it, but we can’t drive it until the exhaust gets done, we're too close town to town for all that and they're already watching, LOL! It’s way over the edge of “extreme truck engine', it would easily run 10's in a properly set up A body. These things rev stupid fast, it can hit the 6500 rpm rev limiter before you’ve even realized it’s went that high.

Last edited:
Said engine in action. I've shared it to another thread, but this is a 4800 pounds of truck and passengers and a 1.67:1 third, 3.91 gears. The exhaust is flowtech long tubes, 2-1/2 inch pipes and a Dyno-Max X flow muffler.

Finally getting around to working on this again....Using a Lunati solid lifter Voodoo cam....702 model...was in a previous 360,,,,ordered a better timing chain set from Summit

and going to throw a set of stock eddy heads on it...

That sounds like it’s going to be a fun and happy build. Here’s a little more inspiration, this thing would really haul the mail with some 4.56 gears, but it’s traction limited as it is.

Put the Lunati cam in and got it degreed. Need a timing chain cover....gotta go look in other shed for one....

Not sure if this cam is going to stay in the engine....might swap it out for a Howards cam.

Found a Moroso oil pan that was hiding......cleaned up real good......

Painted the short block Chrysler blue.......

Put the Lunati cam in and got it degreed. Need a timing chain cover....gotta go look in other shed for one....

Not sure if this cam is going to stay in the engine....might swap it out for a Howards cam.

Found a Moroso oil pan that was hiding......cleaned up real good......

Painted the short block Chrysler blue.......

I have an extra timing chain cover you can have if its the same one for the 340?

OH....i got a stack of them....just was not in garage but in shed at home.....beside considering swapping out cam....so no hurry to button it up...But Thanks

-
Back