Stroking the 400

-

klrfish1968

Reaction score
Will a 4.5" crank fit in a 400? I'm giving some thought to building a BIG low deck motor. I like how a low deck motor fits in an A body as compared to the RB version that touches everything. I'm looking to build around 700 horses and still have an engine that will live on the street. Maybe I'm nuts, but I think a big inch motor could make power like that and still idle around 1000 rpm and have decent street manners. I may have run across a smokin' deal on a 4.5" crank but I don't want to buy it if it can't be made to fit without compromising block strength. I know they'll fit in an RB motor but if it don't work in a 400 I'll just use the 440 crank I've got and be happy with a 452. :scratch:

Okay! Checked out that site... maybe I'll just break what I have for now. Making a big block fit in an A body is a pain enough without having to worry about all that other stuff. I'm thinking maybe my wallet isn't quite ready for all that yet :cry:

klrfish1968 said:
Okay! Checked out that site... maybe I'll just break what I have for now. Making a big block fit in an A body is a pain enough without having to worry about all that other stuff. I'm thinking maybe my wallet isn't quite ready for all that yet :cry:

but isnt it good to lighten ewerything as musch as possible? your wallet is one of the spoots wich can be made lighter :wink:

damn that pisses me off, about a moth ago there was a 400 in a 70s polara and i had to wait for payday, went back and the car was gone. :(

I've got the k-frame, a '70 400, a steel 440 crank, 400 and 440 rods, headers, and a neat car to put it all in, I just can't justify the load of dead presidents it would take to get it done. I just cant seem to stop at a sane amount once I go into "get 'er done" mode. My small block was supposed to be a $3500 budget motor but by the time it was all said and done I had closer to $8000 in it - I mean - if you're gonna put real compression in you might as well put a rolller cam in it, and if you're going to go that far you may as well go ahead and spend the money on a real damper, and since you did that why not go ahead and get the crank knife edged and chromed, and since you already spent all that money on the bottom end you can't not do something with the oiling system.... Where does it end? I can even answer that one - it doesn't! Ever! :mrgreen: And by the way, I know all about the 'lightening of the wallet', and the weight you take off the wallet definitely seems to have a direct effect on trap speeds most of the time...

Can it fit, If you buy the top dollar callies, it will need a little bit of clearancing..However, the crank that long puts so much side load into the piston that you loose a lot of power, generate a lot of extra heat, and wear out the bores/pistons very fast..Definately NOT a street engine. You would be better off buidling a snottier 451(400 w/3.75 crank) and runnig that..There are many of these running around now, and the combo can run very fast if built well, and still be streetable for most people.

-
Back