Strong rubbing noise 72 Dart

-

Nemesea

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a strong rubbing noise on my 72 dart since few time on the left side. It occurs when turning right.
It's hard to figures from where its coming from.

Any idea on the cause?

thanks!

Edit:
- tire clearance ok
- engine mounts ok
- bearing new
- tie rod end new
- lower ball joint new

Last edited:
Check the front fender support rod mine was bent and the tire hit the fender during a turn. FYI

Thank you. But i already checked the following and everything fine:
- tire clearance ok
- engine mounts ok
- bearing new
- tie rod end new
- lower ball joint new
The « rubbing » noise appears as soon i start turning right, even if it’s few degrees, regardless of the speed. The noise is strong and coming from the left side.

Recheck the wheel bearings. Jack it up and grab the tire top and bottom and see if there is any play in the bearings also check the lug nuts while your at it. Don't drive this at any speed until you find and fix the problem. Also if you can't find the problem yourself please pay someone who can.

Hi guys,

I have a strong rubbing noise on my 72 dart since few time on the left side. It occurs when turning right.
It's hard to figures from where its coming from.

Any idea on the cause?

thanks!

Edit:
- tire clearance ok
- engine mounts ok
- bearing new
- tie rod end new
- lower ball joint new
Left side front or rear?

Slow down on the details there, boss.

Tire size? Wheel size and type? Aftermarket wheels? Wheel offset? Suspension stock? Exhaust type?
You say 'fine' like yeah, it's there. How did you figure out that they're fine? Did you simply ask the parts how they are, or did you turn the wheels to the lock, jounce the car, have a helper steer it on jack stands with the T-bar removed? Did you crawl underneath while a friend bounces it, knocking your head into the pavement? (We've all been there, don't lie)
What's the rid

Are you looking for rub spots on hard parts? Are you looking at the tire for grooves that weren't put there by Cooper, Goodyear, or BF Goodrich?

It's like measuring resistance on a wire. "Yeah, it's fine.". OK, what's the spec and what did you measure? You say OK, but that's basically worthless (no offense, but we have to contend with internet limitations)

What motor is in the car?
Big block with enough aluminum that it weighs less than a slant 6? Two aluminum Slant 6's grafted into a V12?

More info equals more help.

Are all the new parts mentioned above on the same side of the noise? If so consider really giving those new parts the dirty eyeball (look closely). As mentioned the bearing and lower ball being 'new' raise the red flag as its been recently tampered with and sometimes the quality of 'new' parts are suspect. Not sure of whats available in France, but that is something that comes up on this side of the pond.

front? or rear?
oops, yes Front left

another consideration is if you are a sporty driver? big power?
Not at all with this car. Original power.

How did you figure out that they're fine? Did you simply ask the parts how they are
That's not how we are supposed to do? :) Everything original, v8 318.
No rub spot. Several checks made with an helper inside the car etc...
No play in the bearing while grabbing the wheel, no abnormal noise when on a stand and wheel nut checked.
Lot of clearance around the tire, nothing rubbing on the rim nor on brake caliper and brake pads in good condition.

Are all the new parts mentioned above on the same side of the noise? If so consider really giving those new parts the dirty eyeball (look closely). As mentioned the bearing and lower ball being 'new' raise the red flag as its been recently tampered with and sometimes the quality of 'new' parts are suspect. Not sure of whats available in France, but that is something that comes up on this side of the pond.
Parts have been replaced on front left and front right sides at the same time. No issue on the right side. Almost nothing available in France, everything is coming from US (mainly ACDELCO and MOOG parts).
The noise quite suddenly appears on the left side before the parts replacement.

I'll check again the wheel bearing and inspect the newest parts.

Thanks guys for the help.

No play in the bearing while grabbing the wheel

to be clear, was the wheel off the ground when performing this test? Is there a possibilty of making a video of the noise? If its coming from your left foot area start the camera up by steering wheel showing the turn then float it towards the noise while its happening. I know its asking a lot but Im trying to get right to it. Pictures n videos are gold!

Power steering or manual? Maybe the belt is slipping causing the rub like sound due to faulty power steering pump? Spit balling here. If no black marks from rubber rubbing, and all parts okay. Also check inside of wheel for rubbing against caliper. Again just spit balling. Typically the answer is a simple tripping hazard we don’t see because we are looking for something else.

are you pressing the brake at all when turning?

Throw a dog a bone and hit us up with some pics brah!

disc or drum, pictures, backing plate against inside of wheel.

Does it sound like grinding of stones? or like the high pitched steel of a train rolling by....

Try backing the pads away from the rotor, if disc. Or back shoes off if drum.

Then use parking brake to stop car and see if it changes. I've had pads that would drag in the unused portion of the rotor when the bearing got loaded a little, even though bearing was 'in spec'.

Thanks for the feedbacks.

to be clear, was the wheel off the ground when performing this test? Is there a possibilty of making a video of the noise?
Yes the wheel was off the ground. No play.
Here the video:

It sounds definitely like grinding of stones.

Power steering or manual? Maybe the belt is slipping causing the rub like sound due to faulty power steering pump? Spit balling here. If no black marks from rubber rubbing, and all parts okay. Also check inside of wheel for rubbing against caliper. Again just spit balling. Typically the answer is a simple tripping hazard we don’t see because we are looking for something else.
Yes it's power steering. What can i check to see if it's a power steering issue?

are you pressing the brake at all when turning?
Throw a dog a bone and hit us up with some pics brah!
disc or drum, pictures, backing plate against inside of wheel.
Does it sound like grinding of stones? or like the high pitched steel of a train rolling by....
Disc brakes, more pictures attached. The noise is there pressing the brake or not. I made a quick run this today and it seems to be a little bit worst when pressing the brake but hard to say.

Try backing the pads away from the rotor, if disc. Or back shoes off if drum.

Then use parking brake to stop car and see if it changes. I've had pads that would drag in the unused portion of the rotor when the bearing got loaded a little, even though bearing was 'in spec'.
Yes, I have to take the brakes off the equation. It will be tricky to do this test by i'll try.

Thanks !

20211003_092059380_iOS.jpg

20211003_092118663_iOS.jpg

20211003_092204969_iOS.jpg

20211003_092243076_iOS.jpg

20211003_092300768_iOS.jpg

20211003_092316468_iOS.jpg

20211003_092345924_iOS.jpg

20211003_094203219_iOS.jpg

20211003_094214441_iOS.jpg

20211003_094319797_iOS.jpg

In the last picture it looks like the outer brake pad might be rubbing. The sliders the caliper mounts on might need to be cleaned and a bit of grease on them. And the upper hold down looks like it is on a angle possibly just touching the rotor?

In the last picture it looks like the outer brake pad might be rubbing. The sliders the caliper mounts on might need to be cleaned and a bit of grease on them. And the upper hold down looks like it is on a angle possibly just touching the rotor?
I removed the caliper and pads, Cleaned everything. Nothing rubbing.

I checked the steering reservoir, fluid level seems low. I'll refill, hoping the noise comes from the pump running with not enough fuild.

Thanks !

20211003_172434688_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
excellent documentation sir. I appreciate the effort of making the video and pictures. It does sound like power steering pump noise but one would expect it to happen when turning left as well, but lets hope the sound either changes with a fluid top off or goes away. Keep us updated please.

-
Back