Strutrod bushing

-

MoparFan

Reaction score
Hi,

is anyone of you has ever use a PST polygraphite kit. Here's a pisture of the strutrod bushing they supplied me. I know that the one from Moog are pretty similar also...
But i'm just not sure about those bushings. I am affraid that the thickness of the bushing on the lower control arm side will push and disaligned the control arm.

Any experience with a similar bushing?
strutrod_bushing_oldnew_resize.jpg

check the difference between the two setup...the bottom one, the nut is tighten the max I can...

Thanks for your help.[/img]

strutrod_bushing_oldnew_resize.jpg

true
I had that problem on mine, but i figured it'd be ok and the alignment would take up the difference.....well, it BARELY did....i have heard of others doing, and would suggest you do this: shave off about 1/4" of the control arm side of the back bushing....this will get you about right.....
i could probably use a little less height in the front, which would take care of the alignment being so close, but i'm not too worried about it right now

I put the polygraphite ones on last winter and within a month or two they started to squeak. It was embrassing to drive into the parking lot of a cruise. Squirting on some lube would quite them down for a while but the squeaking always comes back.

I have a 73 spool mount K-frame to go in with the 360 and have new rubber bushings to replace the polygraphite.

I had heard about the squeaking but always thought that was associate with the plane poly bushings. I have polygraphite upper control arm bushings too but so far they are fine. It was strongly recomend that I not use the poly bushings of any type on th elower control arm because they would wear out too fast.

In any case I did not see any noticable improvement in the handling with the poly bushings so it would be my recomendation just to stay with rubber.

Yup thats a comman problem. You'll need to trim them down about an 1/8" A belt sander would probably work well.

I have to fix mine too. I also picked up a set of adjustable bar.

Thanks for your very quick answers.

I will cut about 1/4" on the back bushing, and hopefully it will be fine like that. Since the nut can't go past the hole for the spring pin, did you put any other locking device for the nut (lock washer??).
There's just that thing about the squeaking that bug me, but well, what is done is done (still have a lot to learn about parts)...with what the kit (polygraphite Super Front end kit) cost me (never tought that the custom fees, would be that much) I will hope that at least these components (ball joints, tie rod end) are of a decent quality.
And, by the way, I have replace my lower control arm bushing with rubber one (supplied by PST).

These strut rod bushing, are the last thing I have to fix before starting to reassemble... :D :D

Thanks again

If you cut the bushing down you should be able to get the pin in the strut rod.

I didn't cut the bushing down and didn't worry about the pin either (never seen a nut back off).

A buddy of mine has an alignment shop and was amazed that the front end aligned with no problems. He generally has to work quite a bit to get any 30+ year old car to come into specs.

The strut bushing must tighten down on the inner sleeve or else you are asking for problems. I used the "high durometer" mopar performance ones on my street car and they worked fine, and they were cheap too (and hard). Also if you were planning on using the lower control arm inner bushing (poly one) throw those things out too they are junk. The upper cotrol arm bushings are good though.

-
Back