Stubborn Oil Filter

-

blackace

The KING of flats
Reaction score
Well I went out to change the oil in my Dart all ready to do. Drained the oil then I went to remove the filter and it would budge. I used an oil filter wrench, oil filter pliers, and even jammed a screw driver through it but still no luck. Anyone have any suggestion??

Keep at it with the screwdriver. A big nasty one. Then keep on applying the force. She'll come off.

If you can get your hands on a large set of channel lock pliers grab the filter at the base. That's the best way I have found to get sutbborn ones off.

I got it off this morning. :) I got a long *** screwdriver held it about 45 degrees and tapped the end with a hammer and that managed to get it loose. I put the screwdriver on the crease where the case is crimped on to the filter.

Years ago I took a piece of 1" square tubing, about 1' long, then cut a 4" slot down one side from one end. I then took a piece of 4" truck tie-down strap and slid both ends down into the slot, took my propane torch and burned the cut ends, inside the tubing. I now have a loop which I put over an oil filter, put an adjustable wrench on the 1" tubing, and I've yet to see the filter which could stay in place when I get to grunting on that sucker. :)

-
Back