Stuck headlight switch/ replacement pull knob

-

cheech14

Reaction score
OK guys & gals - I have a problem I have never encountered before. The headlight switch on my 65 Barracuda will NOT pull out. I have tapped, pried, lubricated and cussed this thing. No joy. I have perhaps 1/8" of in & out play in the switch knob, then it feels as if it is hitting something solid. I have taken my instrument panel & wiper switch out to have better access to the switch, but that really has not been of any benefit. I do not want to destroy my pull switch knob - it is original and I have had no luck finding a replacement - but I may have to to replace this switch.
Failing a solution, I would be overjoyed to get another stock switch knob (center has a shallow dome with trim on the outer edge)
I just got my car going and would love to drive it a bit - but with no headlights, weeeelllll, it kinda limits the scope of my journeys!
Thanks!

Cheech14

theres a button on the switch to remove the knob. i bought a new switch from oreillys auto parts for 20 bucks or so. and it fixed some electrical issues i was having too. on a 71 dart

You have to get your hand back up in there, and push that little button in, and then the knob/shaft will pull out. Its not all ways easy to get at the button. Usually its on the top of the switch.

Dave

mine is underneath on my oem and replacement switch. It feels and looks like a little button head rivet that is spring loaded. pic is bottom of switch, button in the center
001.jpg

GOT IT!
Thanks for the replies - I understand how to remove the switch - but first it has to be able to be moved!
Problem - the switch knob shaft was rusted to probably the rheostat area of the switch. It is open and exposed to any moisture (what? moisture in Western Washington?) or condensation.
Solution - Two steps, freeing the switch and curing the problem. (1) to free the switch, I wrapped a turn or two of 550 cord around the knob, tied it off and then tied the other end to a 4 lb hammer. One stout bump and it broke the knob loose (used this getup like a slide hammer) (2) the cure, hopefully, after removing the knob and the switch I cleaned the shaft of the knob well using a mill file. After determining that the switch was still ok, I removed the knob/shaft assy and greased the shaft with dielectric grease and reassembled the switch back in the dash. Presto!!! Lights that go on and off!!! - except for the dash lights - another problem to address. (I have a dimmable light in the radio, but no gauge lights or anything else. No fuel or temp readings - all new senders - I suspect the voltage reducer)

Anyway, Thanks again.

Cheech14

Sounds like you have water dripping onto the switch. I'd replace it and maybe the knob assembly then find out where it's leaking. It may be the windshield or most likely the windshield wiper pivots which were a poor design to begin with and almost guaranteed to leak.

cudajim - thanks for your input, but there is no leak above or near the switch.....I think where the problem arose is from there being water/dampness in the car for a long period of time from a leaking quarter window seal. Every time the water evaporated, it has to go someplace - usually up. When it rose up under the it then condensed on whatever is under there. The headlight switch having a nice cool plate above the switch rheostat and pull shaft was a great place for moisture to collect. That's my educated guess...… something to be said for heated, dry storage!

RT

-
Back