Stuck strut rod

-

ESP47

Reaction score
I can't seem to get the nut off the front of the strut rod on the passenger side of my Duster. I've tried penetrating fluid, heat, hitting with a hammer etc and nothing seems to work. I put two nuts on the other side of the strut rod to hold it tight and tried getting the nut off the front and it just turns the strut and beings to muck up the threads on the other side of the rod so that method isn't going to work. Do you guys know of another method? I don't know if using vise grips to try and hold it still will mess up the rod but I'm not sure if that method would work anyway since the nut is stuck on so tight.

can't you find another strut rod? I wouldn't waste anymore time on it. I'm sure someone on this forum has replaced his strut rods with aftermarket rods, and would probably give you one if you just pay the shipping.

I can't seem to get the nut off the front of the strut rod on the passenger side of my Duster. I've tried penetrating fluid, heat, hitting with a hammer etc and nothing seems to work. I put two nuts on the other side of the strut rod to hold it tight and tried getting the nut off the front and it just turns the strut and beings to muck up the threads on the other side of the rod so that method isn't going to work. Do you guys know of another method? I don't know if using vise grips to try and hold it still will mess up the rod but I'm not sure if that method would work anyway since the nut is stuck on so tight.

When all else fails, then torch it off with acetylene torch...

First try to heat the whole nut until it glows orange, then try to break it loose....

If that doesn't work, burn it off with the acetylene.... If you heat the nut up to cherry orange, then blast the oxygen, you may be able to burn just the nut off without hurting the male threads... The trick is to not get the male threads heated up to cherry orange, just the nut... Then you can melt the nut off the stud without harming the threads on the stud... It takes some patience and practice, but can be done...

Good luck, we're all counting on you....

What year duster? Strut rods changed slightly in 1973. I have a single extra 67-72. The other one was bent.

I've got an extra pair of the 73+ course thread style strut rods. You can use them on the earlier cars too as long as you use the later bushings.

-
Back