stumped....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Ever been working on something, that has directions, and just be stumped by a part of it? To the point that you can't sleep? And know that there is probably a simple solution but you are just so bewildered you can't see it? That is where I am at. Building a bike lift. It has a stop for the front tire that consists of a piece of plate and a piece of 3" angle iron that is 11" long. The angle iron needs to be cut at an angle of 35*.

View attachment tire stop.jpg

I have your run of the mill chop saw. The vise swivels but that will not get this cut...will it? I have a plasma cutter that is strong enough to go thru the 3/16" angle but not sure of the condition of the consumables..and with it being Saturday I seriously doubt I will be able to find them in Spokane.....and lastly I have an angle grinder.....that will no doubt take a while to make the cut. Hmmm.....

The simplest things always stump me.....

You should be able to get this cut with your chop saw
Mine I would need to subtract from 90Deg. 90-55= 35 and cut yes?

You should be able to get this cut with your chop saw
Mine I would need to subtract from 90Deg. 90-55= 35 and cut yes?

Exactly what I was talking about...duh on my part. If I clamp the angle into the vise with it laying flat I can get the cut....duhhhhh

I just bought a "real" chop saw and must say I'm SO dissappointed in the damn thing. This for me was expensive. ---one of the yellow ones, must be DeWalt ---Cost me over 200 bucks out the door.

The table left to right is not "flat" all the way across. There's a narrow area under the vise that's raised, makes it difficult to get a piece "settled." The vise "nut" is a quick release PLASTIC.

But the short story is, if you have to "turn the piece around" IE put the work piece in the vise and stick the waste out, or vise versa, you should be able to cut that angle. If the piece you are cutting is too wide to fit the vise vertically, you'll just need a flat scrap of "anything," even plywood to "raise" the rear of the vice effective jaw height.

Who made your plasma? Might be cheaper to order consumables online and have them shipped rather than running into town.

seems to me the trick will be to clamp the angle iron so that the blade will pass through it in the same manner the horizontal part will need to be welded to it
sooooo, the saw should do the trick, if you place the angle iron like this > or like this <

I just bought a "real" chop saw and must say I'm SO dissappointed in the damn thing. This for me was expensive. ---one of the yellow ones, must be DeWalt ---Cost me over 200 bucks out the door.

The table left to right is not "flat" all the way across. There's a narrow area under the vise that's raised, makes it difficult to get a piece "settled." The vise "nut" is a quick release PLASTIC.

But the short story is, if you have to "turn the piece around" IE put the work piece in the vise and stick the waste out, or vise versa, you should be able to cut that angle. If the piece you are cutting is too wide to fit the vise vertically, you'll just need a flat scrap of "anything," even plywood to "raise" the rear of the vice effective jaw height.

Who made your plasma? Might be cheaper to order consumables online and have them shipped rather than running into town.
My plasma cutter is a Thermal Dynamics Pak Master 38XL. A former co-worker borrowed it way back....just discovered today he bought me some spare parts....plugged it, hooked up the air hose to it. Damn fitting leaked like a sumovabeech. Replaced it, good to go. Needed it to do some trimming on some angle iron today. I bought it when I was working on a truck. Was going to be a prerunner. Fab guy I was using wanted me to remove all the rivets out of the body mount brackets. This thing made short work out of them. Nuke the end off & hit it with the air chisel. Had a little 30 gallon compressor at the time. Was nuking and chiseling like a mad man......after a good 35 minutes of running non stop the compressor let out a scream and quit. Went into the garage and there was oil all over the walls and ceiling....the compressor grenaded. Hello 80 gallon 2 stage.

seems to me the trick will be to clamp the angle iron so that the blade will pass through it in the same manner the horizontal part will need to be welded to it
sooooo, the saw should do the trick, if you place the angle iron like this > or like this <

Thanks.....had to get creative. Had to lay the angle iron with the v pointing up and tip the end closest to the blade up. Tested it on a piece of scrap. By the time I got to this point today the blade on my chop saw was down to nothing...so this cut will have to wait....Thanks again.....

I've cut lotsa stuff like that using the "caveman" method. Just wack it off close with a torch (or sawzall if it's thin) then doctor up the rough cut with a grinder until you like the fit.

I've cut lotsa stuff like that using the "caveman" method. Just wack it off close with a torch (or sawzall if it's thin) then doctor up the rough cut with a grinder until you like the fit.

Was thinking about going caveman on it but it is 1/4", would take a while with an angle grinder.

you can get 4 1/2" diameter cutoff wheels for your angle grinder from Harbor freight. They do a pretty good job cutting through 1/4" material. You could mark your cut and put the metal in a vise and make the cut with the grinder. (My dad uses those a lot... I started using them a year ago and it is a LOT cleaner than the cutting torch!

-
Back