Stupid air cleaner question.

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have what I am pretty sure is the original air cleaner on this 64 Valiant, 170, three speed car. Here is my question. The air cleaner base, when assembled, leaves very little room (my guess is "around" 1/8" all the way around where the top mounts to the base with the filter in place. Just seems restrictive, but it appears that it's original Does this sound right?

Sounds off. I think there should be more room and not just from the hot rodders point of view. I do think the factory issued more clearance.

Out of town, so I can't look.

But that does sound about right.

If the outer diameter is 12", the inner would be 11.75".

Doing the math, that leaves you 4.66 sqin of intake area.

Which is equivalent to a 2.44" diameter hole

Sounds right. I had the same mental battle with my Dart. I was thinking there was no way I was getting enough air to the engine. I thought about using the factory base and installing an aftermarket top. I would leave the whole element open and really increase air flow... turns out the performance difference is non existent and the only thing it does is increase engine noise from the intake. That is the reason for the original factory design. Pleanty of air flow and noise reduction.

That sounds right. Original early A (and maybe a few years) later had a little 9 in or so air cleaner with the base just about as small. They worked great on the twin single Offy for the clearance between the carbs.

Not on a slant 6 but the factory unsilenced air cleaners use the same concept. I built a second open top for the strip and found a noticeable difference in et.

IMG_3963.JPG

IMG_3986.JPG

Just because the OEM built it that way does not mean it was a good design...............LMAO

The small gap seems to work. When replacing the filter I always inspect the new one. I place the smallest end down, and trim any molding flash with a sharp knife. I make sure centered on base, and top centered too, by checking with fingers, as wing nut is tightened.

The narrow opening increases air velocity, so the air easily penetrates the filter. It is a good design.

A speed secret, is to form an inverted trumpet cone on the top lid, smoothly, turning air down, into carb. That simple change is significant, for mpg and power.

This little 64 Valiant 170 seems to have the original air cleaner. It appears to be the same one the the 225 used that said "Super 225". Since this is a 170, this air cleaner is of course minus the decal.

Here's my question. The base and top appear to be original. They fit together at the bottom with less than 1/4 gap all the way around between the base and the top for air to get in. It's probably more like 1/8" all the way around. Is this normal? Does it sound like I have something mismatched? The element appears the original element, as it fits perfectly, but when the top is put on, there is that small gap. Doesn't seem like enough area to supply a proper amount of air to the engine, even though it's a 170.

My apologies for the double thread post. Please refer all answers here:

Stupid air cleaner question.

I THOUGHT I had posted the question but I could not find it when I searched.

Do you have the right air cleaner element in it.

Fram CA146
STP SA146
Wix 42011

Thank you! I'll check it out and see. That would make the most sense. According to the measurements, that WIX number is 3" tall and the filter that's in it is 3" so it's the right element. Thanks. I "guess" this is correct for it.

If the 1/8" slit is the only way the air can get in I think there's a problem somewhere. Dang my lawn mower has larger openings.

Here's my question. The base and top appear to be original. They fit together at the bottom with less than 1/4 gap all the way around between the base and the top for air to get in. It's probably more like 1/8" all the way around. Is this normal? Does it sound like I have something mismatched? The element appears the original element, as it fits perfectly, but when the top is put on, there is that small gap. Doesn't seem like enough area to supply a proper amount of air to the engine, even though it's a 170.[/QUOTE]
Yup thats how they are, never understood that design it almost like choking it, even the commando air cleaners air the same way, you can hear the air being pulled.

Thats how they came barely any opening to pull air, i think up to 1969 on the slant six, even 273 commandos are the same way they get noisy pulling air at high rpms. Hence Unsilenced air cleaner.

Thats how they came barely any opening to pull air, i think up to 1969 on the slant six, even 273 commandos are the same way they get noisy pulling air at high rpms. Hence Unsilenced air cleaner.
I'll go over tomorrow and check my 273. I know there's more room than that.

Hay thanks for mergin these together. I wouldda done it myself, but, you know.......lol

-
Back