stupid looking car thread

-
Those,I like! Driven a nasty 429 version. Compared to a prepped a body,a fat Elvis.....

Yeah. Speed wasn't their thing, but man at the styling.

My favorite Ford is even heavier. The 72 Gran Torino Sport fastback. Badass.

Driven the 429 version . High school(84), A buddy bought one.Burnouts galore. Behind him,in the local Burger King,drive in line. They screwed up,the order. His response? A 2 minute power brake. Wasted the new 60 series duked Chargers. Amazingly nasty ride,for what was stock.

Driven the 429 version . High school(84), A buddy bought one.Burnouts galore. Behind him,in the local Burger King,drive in line. They screwed up,the order. His response? A 2 minute power brake. Wasted the new 60 series duked Chargers. Amazingly nasty ride,for what was stock.
my buddy had a boss 351 mustang,we put in a solid cam,hooker super comp headers,a mallory unilite,and an 850 double pumper.it ran 12.20 and never lost a street race.even smoked my caddy gto....

Avanti1963.jpg

I'm sure the "designer" thought this was a great idea.............

weird-car-design-03.jpg

Saw a documentary on those and they get something like 40% better fuel mileage than a regular semi due the aerodynamics. Yeah, not pretty, but I like the idea behind it.

The mustangs, Edsel and that olds looking front end gold car are beautiful cars. Not my favorites by any means but that's styling, especially the Edsel.

Edit, the rampage above is cool for what it is IMO. I must have odd taste Lil.

... and that olds looking front end gold car are beautiful cars.

Do you meant the Studebaker Avanti in Post# 33? The Avanti was actually very much ahead of its time when it was first released in 1962. Fewer than 5800 were built between June of '62 and December of 1963 when Studebaker closed their doors and went out of business.
Fiberglass body on a modified Studebaker Lark Daytona 109-inch convertible chassis with a modified 289 Studebaker Hawk engine - Paxton-supercharged as an option. The Avanti was also the first American production car to offer front disc brakes, British Dunlop designed made under license by Bendix.
Very aerodynamic. Andy Granatelli took one to Bonneville and broke 29 records to become the "World's fastest production car." The Studebaker Avanti set all kinds of land speed records for a factory stock off the show room floor vehicles. These records remained on the books for many years. Top speed was almost 169 miles per hour as prepped for Bonneville.
I had an older cousin that bought one. Outstanding car in its day.

The Avanti might have been a revolutionary car in some ways, but I agree with the OP, I think they were ugly. Now the earlier Hawks, THOSE were cool lookin'

I also disagree with Rusty on this. I think while the earlier stangs were OK, I didn't like the later models. 'Bout 69 was it for me. I do, however, like the "now" generation stangs.

Do you meant the Studebaker Avanti in Post# 33? The Avanti was actually very much ahead of its time when it was first released in 1962. Fewer than 5800 were built between June of '62 and December of 1963 when Studebaker closed their doors and went out of business.
Fiberglass body on a modified Studebaker Lark Daytona 109-inch convertible chassis with a modified 289 Studebaker Hawk engine - Paxton-supercharged as an option. The Avanti was also the first American production car to offer front disc brakes, British Dunlop designed made under license by Bendix.
Very aerodynamic. Andy Granatelli took one to Bonneville and broke 29 records to become the "World's fastest production car." The Studebaker Avanti set all kinds of land speed records for a factory stock off the show room floor vehicles. These records remained on the books for many years. Top speed was almost 169 miles per hour as prepped for Bonneville.

after hearing all of that i kinda want one now but they are still ugly.

Spitfire orange Volare RR- NOT ugly.

However, I did find the Avanti a bit homely, until I saw a re-release with square headlights. I thought that was a major improvement, and then built an appreciation for the rest of the styling.

BTW I recently learned that the Avanti was styled by industrial designer Raymond, who also designed the Pennsylvania Railroad T1 "sharknose" steam locomotive in 1945, which is a favorite of mine.

Have we all forgotten??........STOPPP!!!.....TURN IT OFF!!.....MY CORNEAS ARE BURRRNNNNINGGGG!!!!

2004-pontiac-aztek-rally-photo-319233-s-1280x782.jpg

'02-'05_Pontiac_Aztek_(Orange_Julep_'10).jpg

That's the one... for some reason the front reminds me of an olds tornado. I think cars almost in general are beautiful pieces of art. For the most part that ended with the muscle car era but even some from the late 70s to mid 80s still catch my eye. I don't care for many Honda or Toyota's or really Japanese imports as a whole and the mustang ll's never should have been made but otherwise most cars I find a thing of beauty.

I will fit this in. What happened to the page?
I like the 1970 superbird.

Darryl

Ah yes the Citroen ..................when I was in the Navy, I went over to my bud's barracks......he and I were going somewhere.........and he was still getting out of the shower. So this is a second story, and down in the parking lot is a dark.....blue? Citroen all faded and dull, so I mentioned just what it looked like.............a great big SLUG laying there. Turns out my friend's roomate was the the owner!!!!

-
Back