Stupid thought big block chevy type head.

-

odie 2882

Reaction score
Sorry this is something that popped into my head. and nowadays there would be a very small market for them given the cylinder heads available and what most people are looking to get out of them.
Basically the small block mopar was first a hemi engine, then turned into the poly engine. That's a well known fact and why sbm have that funky lifter angle.
So given that lifter angle you would think it would be easy to make a more modern performance oriented design to the old poly head. And yes of course you would need special intakes and exhaust but you need these if you're running W2's

There WAS a company that was offering Hemi heads for the small block. The web site is still up. No clue if they are still being made.
the new hemi

If you (or someone) is going to that trouble, why not just re-invent the hemi AKA a hemi head for a SB? There used to be just that for B/RB engines, but they were expensive.

The other question is, "would they fit" in an A body?

If you (or someone) is going to that trouble, why not just re-invent the hemi AKA a hemi head for a SB? There used to be just that for B/RB engines, but they were expensive.

The other question is, "would they fit" in an A body?
RustyRatRod shared a link! Pretty Cool!

Neat idea but between the availability of improved big-port aftermarket SB wedge heads and the fact that the G3 Hemi is essentially a heavily modified/updated SBM with Hemi heads, there isn't much point...

Neat idea but between the availability of improved big-port aftermarket SB wedge heads and the fact that the G3 Hemi is essentially a heavily modified/updated SBM with Hemi heads, there isn't much point...
Except those Hemi heads for the small block were about 35 years before the gen3 Hemi was even on the design board. So yeah, there was a point. I'm not sure if they're available anymore, but the web site has been up and going forever.

Except those Hemi heads for the small block were about 35 years before the gen3 Hemi was even on the design board. So yeah, there was a point. I'm not sure if they're available anymore, but the web site has been up and going forever.

I was responding to the OP about canted-valve heads but I didn't know those SB Hemi heads had been around that long. Makes me wonder how much better they performed than whatever W-series heads were available at the time, if at all...

Good thing the G3 Hemi was made in such huge numbers though I picked up a 2014 5.7L a few years back for $600 with the usual bad cam lobe and lifter. Nothing a new aftermarket cam, lifters and SRT oil pump can't fix though.

I was responding to the OP about canted-valve heads but I didn't know those SB Hemi heads had been around that long. Makes me wonder how much better they performed than whatever W-series heads were available at the time, if at all...

Good thing the G3 Hemi was made in such huge numbers though I picked up a 2014 5.7L a few years back for $600 with the usual bad cam lobe and lifter. Nothing a new aftermarket cam, lifters and SRT oil pump can't fix though.
I totally agree that nowadays it doesn't make much sense. Like I said it was just a thought that popped into my head why nobody ever did. But as RustyRatRod pointed out I guess someone did.

-
Back