-

Veryfastdart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anybody install SFC in their drop top?
If so, weld in or bolt in?
Who's did you use?
Just got my drop top and she feels a little springy!
But I love it!
Needs some TLC which she is getting this winter!

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 512
Our cars are twins!! In 2012 I put the engine back in mine and at the same time installed US Car Tool subframe connectors. They are contoured to the floor and are weld in. It definitely stiffened up the ride.

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

Do a search on here. There are a few threads regarding making your own connectors, very easy to do and it is waaaay cheaper. I put connectors in my car for about 30 bucks.

I would weld them, both will work, but I prefer welding.

I definitely wood especially with a vert. My 66 is a bit loose and spongy too and I know ties would help. Home made or purchased I would weld them in for the best results. The verdict is still out on whether the square tube style or the US Car Tool style are best and there have been many lengthy and in-depth discussions here about the subject. I don't remember if anyone has done a before and after test at the drag strip but everyone that has installed them has good things to say about how solid the car rides and drives. I will say the US CAr Tool ones have a clean "Factory look". Keep us posted as to which direction you go. tmm

but everyone that has installed them has good things to say about how solid the car rides and drives.

The difference is very noticeable. I was amazed at the difference as soon as I pulled out of my driveway.

I have owned many an A body over the last 40 years, and this is the first one I put them in.

If you install connectors when the car is apart, they say to have the car perfectly level. What I don't know is, what is considered level? I have put a level on my rocker panels, rear floor pan, speaker shelf, and floor hump at the rear, all with different results. What are you supposed to go by?
If you aren't taking the car apart, you are supposed to install them with the weight sitting on the suspension as you would drive the car.. Make sure nothing is jacked up. A drive on lift is the preferred way in that case.

If you install connectors when the car is apart, they say to have the car perfectly level. What I don't know is, what is considered level? I have put a level on my rocker panels, rear floor pan, speaker shelf, and floor hump at the rear, all with different results. What are you supposed to go by?
If you aren't taking the car apart, you are supposed to install them with the weight sitting on the suspension as you would drive the car.. Make sure nothing is jacked up. A drive on lift is the preferred way in that case.

The car should be level, whether apart or together, at least in my mind anyway, lol.. When I did mine, I used the rockers for fore and aft level, I used a straight edge across the fenders (hood open) and across the rear quarters (trunk open) for side to side. And yes, the car should be on the suspension. I place jack stands under the differential and under each LCA.

Most important is to check the doors for opening and closing, if the car is together, before doing any welding.

If you're installing frame ties on a convertible, I would make sure the top is in the UP position and latched before welding them in...

We put them in both my Barracuda convertible and my son's Dart convertible while completely apart and on casters. Everything went together fine. ALWAYS weld them in. Bolt ins will become loose as the bolt holes wear from flex. They should be welded front, rear, and middle OR the entire length if fitted to the floor.

Cut the floors and welded in 67 DART and 70 Challenger. Both convertibles, never drove them without having them in place. Good thing to do.

All convertibles have torque boxes and double wall rockers from the factory. Torque boxes tie the rockers to the frame rails which mimics a sub frame connector to a point. It's continuous but not in a straight line. I'll assume this causes the vert chassis to develop flex at about the same rate as a hardtop. Anyway... those reinforcements that the factory added were welded in. There's your sign

Mancini sell a prefabricated tie intended to bolt in. Just picked some up to weld in on my cuda conv small block. On my big block dart conv they are welded in across the entire floor.

-
Back