Suck through turboed early hemi early T bird THREE AFBS

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Stole this from another board

Quoted from the board.............

I love crazy old-skool turbo setups, and this 1956 Ford Thunderbird with a Chrysler Hemi V8 swap and a giant turbo sucking through 3x 4barrel carbs is right up there on the crazy old skool list!
This setup was built right back in 1963 (60 years ago) by the owner, who happened to be an engineer at Garrett, so knew a thing or two about turbos! It was built with the goal of getting this car to hit 200mph+, and made 1100bhp.
It was super trick even for todays standards, with a dual fuel system with the 3rd carb feeding the engine pure methanol from a separate fuel tank.
This thing ran almost 150mph in the 1/4mile even back then- A speed the vast majority of todays hypercars still can’t hit.
Also note the engine is offset to one side by a good few inches to give more room to fit the gigantic turbo and fuel system!

=============================================

Me: Somebody noticed this is a DuCoil distributor. There are two sets of points running two coils through a gigantic distributor cap with dual tracks. Each coil fires alternate cylinders. I worked on one of these ONCE. We had no dist. machine, but we had an Allen scope at the NAS Miramar auto shop, so at least I could see if the ignition pulses were even, that is, you had to get both points exactly right gap/ dwell, or the timing would be off a little on alternate cylinders

HemiTbird2.jpg

HemiTbird1.jpg

W&H Ducoil. Two coils, each controlled by one set of points, two coil wires, and the rotor causes each coil to fire alternate cylinders

DuCoil (7).JPG

DuCoil (6).JPG

DuCoil (3).JPG

DuCoil (2).JPG

Amazing what can be done when we put our minds to it! That is really cool!!

Since I don't do Facebeak, does it say if they ever got it to El Mirage or Bonneville? If so, did it do the 200 as planned? :steering:

What I copied in the first post was all it said. Something about 150 but I don't know where. The text posted and the two photos is all there is

EDIT: Quick search there is more, down the page, here:

-
Back