Suggestion for finding correct instrument voltage limiter for 67 Dart

-

buck351

Reaction score
By the way the gauges are sometimes acting strange I suspect the voltage limiter. Looks like I had replaced it years ago and the replacement didn't fit exactly so you can see I had to do the ground differently. Looking at Classic Industries and Year one they both don't match the plug in slots on the PC board. See photos. As you can see the board connections on my extra panel look closer together than the connections on the voltage limiters in the photos. Any suggestions other than buying one and trying to alter it by trying to bend the connections to fit? Assuming the tabs are long enough to be bent and still go down in the slots far enough to reach the connections.

20181008_152918.jpg

20181008_161650.jpg

classic industries 1.JPG

Classic industries 2.JPG

yearone.JPG

Last edited:
You can try a new one and see what happens but chances are the terminals are loose or corroded or possibly need to be resoldered after being jostled around for 50 years. If a new one does not fix your problem you'll have to pull the dash and do some surgery.

Some general ramblings:

1...For SURE get a modern solid state replacement, and not a mechanical one

2...It may by another problem. It's known that the harness connector pins get loose/damaged on the PC board

3...It's known that the contact "socket" fingers where the IVR fits lose contact with the board traces and you have to solder them across

4....The "fake nuts" on the gauge studs allow looseness/ corrosion. Loosen/ tighten the nuts a few times to "scrub" the connection, /and/or replace with "real" nuts.

5....Please READ THIS THREAD It covers repairing these problems

Printed circuit pins repair

Thanks for the suggestions. When things would start acting strange on the fuel and temp gauges the amp meter would be at the max. I replaced the regulator for the charging system and went for a 20 mile test ride. Now I'm not seeing things acting unusual. Amp meter not maxing out, fuel gauge and temp gauge not going to the minimum on the gauge. Thinking maybe when the charging system went to the max the voltage went up too high and the voltage regulator for the instruments went into a protection mode.

Well DUH LMAO. Lordie you may have had 18--20 volts or more on the system!!!

I had also move the instrument voltage limiter in it's connections and the plug on the circuit board to possibly help any questionable connection.

I was testing the voltage by disconnecting the gas tank sending unit wire. Old instrument panel voltage regulator turns on and off to control the voltage. Didn't know that. I ordered the one from Year One like other replacements that are constant voltage. It fit with some minor adjustments to the tabs so it would fit the slot pattern on the PC board. As the instructions said with the constant voltage one the gauge goes up slowly when the ignition is turned on verses the original ones quicker reaction.

Last edited:
-
Back