Summit 408 Short Block??

-

Scottd9990

Reaction score
Pace or Jegs or Summit 408 Short Block?? Anyone have experience with these? Good?? Bad??? Run away fast???

Last edited:
Pace is a vendor...there might be a price benefit to that ;)

There is for sure a benefit to that ;) plus I have actually turned a wrench or two on a 408 :)

Scott sent me a pm also. Glad to help!

Too bad you don't offer any LA 408 short blocks for use with closed chamber heads.

Too bad you don't offer any LA 408 short blocks for use with closed chamber heads.
I can check into the particulars of that note. I would guess the piston design limits adequate clearance.

I can check into the particulars of that note. I would guess the piston design limits adequate clearance.

My guess is they are using KB356 pistons which have a raised quench pad. KB416's are the piston for a closed chamber head.

My guess is they are using KB356 pistons which have a raised quench pad. KB416's are the piston for a closed chamber head.
They use scat assemblies, so you're probably correct.

I myself don't get the domed piston use. Limits head choices and the better heads get left on the table.

Your kind of left with stock or W2 heads with a dome positive of the deck height.

Exact slugs & height used would be nice to know.

Otherwise I like that deal.

They use scat assemblies, so you're probably correct.

Scat makes internally balanced assemblies that use KB416 pistons also. They are missing the market for 408's for customers who want to use aftermarket heads and have an internally balanced engine. Bummer...

Scat makes internally balanced assemblies that use KB416 pistons also. They are missing the market for 408's for customers who want to use aftermarket heads and have an internally balanced engine. Bummer...
Well keep in mind there are open chamber heads out there also. And like I said. I will see if we can make an accommodation.

Performer RPM Cylinder Head Edelbrock 607719 - Pace Performance Parts

Im a pretty easy going guy :)

This means you guys are going to buy these right? Lol

This has me thinking of buying a 408 from Pace, instead of building the 340 for my Duster. By the time I bore, turn crank, bearings, re-con rods, parts etc... be darn near same amount as a 408. I can use my EDDY heads on the 408.
I think this is a great option to the OP. Win/Win for you.

I am on the fence going back and forth!! I do like a professionally build engine idea.

What's our price on the heads: 607719?
5 percent off retail. Plus free shipping.
Im on my phone. So forgive my lack of numbers. I assume you can do the math. :)
But at that point...you may as well buy one of the long blocks in the link above.

This has me thinking of buying a 408 from Pace, instead of building the 340 for my Duster. By the time I bore, turn crank, bearings, re-con rods, parts etc... be darn near same amount as a 408. I can use my EDDY heads on the 408.
I think this is a great option to the OP. Win/Win for you.
That is the beauty of a crate engine...no machine shop bills, and no dirty hands. Lol
There is 100 percent a time and place for a custom built engine...but when a company has it down to a science, plus buys everything in bulk...pretty hard to argue with price of a complete short or long block vs tearing apart a used engine and dropping it off at the machine shop.
I have had both crates and built my own. Completely depends on the ride and purpose. I personally love the idea of buying something with a warranty for a street / strip car. If I was looking for 600 horse like my darts 408...then yes, of course you build, or have one built. You just want a solid 11-13 second car, and a nice warranty...then you call johnny at pace ;)

Well keep in mind there are open chamber heads out there also. And like I said. I will see if we can make an accommodation.

Performer RPM Cylinder Head Edelbrock 607719 - Pace Performance Parts

Im a pretty easy going guy :)

This means you guys are going to buy these right? Lol

HOLD ON THERE JOHNNY!

Edelbrock heads are considered closed chambered heads. 65 & 63cc's. The 63cc head being the popular model. 65cc head for OE pistoned 340's with positive deck heights.

An example of an open chambered head is an X,O, etc letter heads, most every 360/340 head I ever crossed is an open chambered head. I'll re check my 308's, though I think there open.

W2's are a open chambered 70/72cc head chamber. Not all of them though. Some were as small as 65cc, 55cc & 47cc. I do not know of another aftermarket head that is considered an open chamber. Except the W2 70/72cc models. (Most popular by the way.)

The W5, 7, 8, 9 all had chambers ranging from 63 down to 51.

Since it is stated via the manufacture company of the create short block that it must use an open chambered head, this leaves any decent performance head OUT in the cold.

While we do have a few here that use a OE head on top of a 400+ cube engine, IMO, I can't see why and think no one in there right mind would use one. Except for towing? In all fairness to the OE head, it will port out right fine, just sadly short to allow the 408 to shine.

As I mentioned earlier, knowing what slug is used, where it sits in the cylinder (how far down in the hole or not) and the dome amount and height is a need to know issue.

HOLD ON THERE JOHNNY!

Edelbrock heads are considered closed chambered heads. 65 & 63cc's. The 63cc head being the popular model. 65cc head for OE pistoned 340's with positive deck heights.

An example of an open chambered head is an X,O, etc letter heads, most every 360/340 head I ever crossed is an open chambered head. I'll re check my 308's, though I think there open.

W2's are a open chambered 70/72cc head chamber. Not all of them though. Some were as small as 65cc, 55cc & 47cc. I do not know of another aftermarket head that is considered an open chamber. Except the W2 70/72cc models. (Most popular by the way.)

The W5, 7, 8, 9 all had chambers ranging from 63 down to 51.

Since it is stated via the manufacture company of the create short block that it must use an open chambered head, this leaves any decent performance head OUT in the cold.

While we do have a few here that use a OE head on top of a 400+ cube engine, IMO, I can't see why and think no one in there right mind would use one. Except for towing? In all fairness to the OE head, it will port out right fine, just sadly short to allow the 408 to shine.

As I mentioned earlier, knowing what slug is used, where it sits in the cylinder (how far down in the hole or not) and the dome amount and height is a need to know issue.

Let me get to the bottom of the "note" before we go assuming they can't accept ANY after market head.....they also build long blocks, and complete engines. Both wearing edelbrock heads. I doubt they use another rotating assembly for the short blocks. But like I said. Let me look into this on Monday when i have more at my disposal than a 5 year old cell phone :p I just sold one of their dressed, edelbrock headed engines last week. I promise they exist.

YES! Please investigate! Thank you muchly! Just so long as the short block can accept Edelbrock heads... LOL

If there is a flat top piston, zero deck height as max would be so AWEEEESOME! Because that would not only allow Edelbrock heads but any after market head. Any W series, Brodix, Indy, etc...

As a (sad) side note, the wife's engine was built instead of purchased based on THAT "must use open chambered heads." notation alone.

Oh! Both create short blocks offered would be excellent to know about. Many thanks.

YES! Please investigate! Thank you muchly! Just so long as the short block can accept Edelbrock heads... LOL

If there is a flat top piston, zero deck height as max would be so AWEEEESOME! Because that would not only allow Edelbrock heads but any after market head. Any W series, Brodix, Indy, etc...

As a (sad) side note, the wife's engine was built instead of purchased based on THAT "must use open chambered heads." notation alone.

I have basically every part needed other then the short block to complete my engine. I even just bought some Caltracs to try to get more hook since I know a 408 has a ton of torque to hook on the street. Now I just need a 408 short block. Based on that note I was planning on building it instead of buying it.

I'll be eagerly awaiting to see your response. For me an internally balanced 408 with KB416's would probably seal the deal. If not I'll be hauling my spare 360 over to the machine shop.

If I would guess I would say 80% of the potential customers are going to use close chambered heads. Most will want internal balance also. Scat sells kits to fit these needs. A forged 408 option would be extra sweet.

These options you mention are out there in create engines and short blocks. I just don't know all the verities available. I seen so many.

-
Back