Summit brand smallblock rods Any good

-
Summit stuff is normally pretty good. They usually tap a major manufacturer for their products.

I'm hoping they're built by Scat possibly but not sure , for $70 more I may just go for the Scat . Building around a 400 hp 318 with KB 399.040 pistons

what's the price difference?

depends what you are building a little

you're right you know..jpg

Sucks that you can't just ask Summit who makes them. Well, I guess you can ask, but they usually won't tell you.

I used the summit forged LS stuff (pistons, rods) in a pretty high hp turbo LS and they worked great. Not that it’s apples to apples but I’d at least give the summit sbm stuff a look.

Wondering if anyone has any luck with Summit branded smallblock rods , or should I just go up to Scat I beam
What are you building? I see your name here is 318boy so I am assuming a Teen? The stock rods will probably handle 350-400 horse.

The 68 truck block I have has a forged crank luckily but has the light rods , I do have an 89 truck roller cam truck block with hopefully the stronger rods but wonder if they are Worth resizing and balancing up with the KB 399 pistons

The 68 truck block I have has a forged crank luckily but has the light rods , I do have an 89 truck roller cam truck block with hopefully the stronger rods but wonder if they are Worth resizing and balancing up with the KB 399 pistons
How strong are you building for? If you use heavy rods your machine shop might have to add mallory metal to the crank to balance it. (expensive) Get some Performance I or H beam rods if you feel the need.

I think maybe I just bite the bullet and get the Scat I beams , would hate to end up spending more for stock parts to work than something fresh and lighter

I think maybe I just bite the bullet and get the Scat I beams , would hate to end up spending more for stock parts to work than something fresh and lighter
They always say, a set of ARP bolts and resizing both ends and you have almost paid for a set of performance rods. Keep us posted on your build .

I just recently noticed there was Summit brand rods and crankshafts, and there are several in stock. We just had the Detroit Autorama show and while there I asked a Summit rep if he could tell me the manufacturer, or at least if he could tell if it was not Eagle. He said they don’t usually tell people who it is but did not think it was Eagle.

I agree they usually have decent stuff. I was going to post asking anyone tried the rods or crankshafts.

Editing to add, Summit rep was not sure. Just did not think it was Eagle. Hopefully that is more clear.

I'd have no problem using any Summit named part.
Every Summit branded part I have purchased is a quality part.

The photos of the summit small block I beam rods look identical to SCAT rods.
Their H beam rods appear similar to K1 rods.

Photos mean nothing, but I think I'd go with the brand name if possible. JMHO.

The photos of the summit small block I beam rods look identical to SCAT rods.
Their H beam rods appear similar to K1 rods.

Photos mean nothing, but I think I'd go with the brand name if possible. JMHO.
And their forged crank doesn't look anything like one from Eagle. Way more meat on the journals....

I have Scat I Beams in my stroker engine since 2010 hasn't blown up yet. Back when I built the engine I had a local performance engine shop measure and inspect all the rods and they were impressed. They said no resizing or anything was needed they were all spot on according to them.

I have Scat I Beams in my stroker engine since 2010 hasn't blown up yet. Back when I built the engine I had a local performance engine shop measure and inspect all the rods and they were impressed. They said no resizing or anything was needed they were all spot on according to them.

13 years is a long time and things have changed. Hopefully Scat parts are still as good as they once were!

T
Perhaps @Johnny Mac knows?
I betcha he buys a lot of parts and may know who makes what
I don't know those specially, but my guess would be they are scat or k1, or come from the same foundry as one of them. Alot of people don't realize most of the "name brand" stuff all comes from the same foundry, and just gets machined or boxed differently. For what it's worth, a stock rod is good for well over 400hp. I would throw some good rod bolts in stockers and let it roll.

-
Back