**Summit Universal X Pipe with TTI Headers**

-
Ok.... any header. It don't have to be TTI. I am looking to see how much you have to cut it up to make it work.

So nobody has used the Summit X Pipe with their headers?? All these members and nobody?? Come on..................

I have that same setup with dougs headers. All I had to do was take the x-pieces to a muffler shop to get them expanded and make 'em a slip fit, and then loosely assembled it, tacked it, and took it out and welded it. I need to re-do the rear hangers though.

I can possible get pics for you in a week or two if you aren't in a rush, but it's under a foot of snow at the moment.

I have a summit 3 inch x pipe with Hedman headers I can possibly take a photo tomorrow I have one low spot where pipe hangs but will be getting that fixed soon ill have to break on the jack stands to get a decent picture

I have that same setup with dougs headers. All I had to do was take the x-pieces to a muffler shop to get them expanded and make 'em a slip fit, and then loosely assembled it, tacked it, and took it out and welded it. I need to re-do the rear hangers though.

I can possible get pics for you in a week or two if you aren't in a rush, but it's under a foot of snow at the moment.

I'm pretty sure the new kits already come with the x pipe as a slip pipe. It comes with 8 clamps so it should anyway. I will be welding mine all together too.

Two words buddy "tweak chamber"

Built in an afternoon with 2.5 inch tube and some sheet metal.

Attachments

• DSC00683.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 903
  • DSC00684.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 931
  • DSC00685.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 915
  • DSC00686.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 872
  • DSC00689.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 889
  • DSC00690.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 883
  • DSC00691.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 880
  • DSC00692.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 925
  • DSC00699.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 918
Two words buddy "tweak chamber"

Built in an afternoon with 2.5 inch tube and some sheet metal.

Ok that's the first I've seen if this. Looks easy enough to build.
What is the benefit of this vs H or X? Does that long chamber interfere with the drive shaft? Pictures are sometimes deceiving.

Ok that's the first I've seen if this. Looks easy enough to build.
What is the benefit of this vs H or X? Does that long chamber interfere with the drive shaft? Pictures are sometimes deceiving.

Ok, Mad and I already talked this over but I thought I should explain myself.

The benefit is better exhaust scavenging like a 180 degree header, which 180 degree headers are impossible in some cars. The chamber allows the exhaust pulse to expand and create a low pressure area in the other collector and pull exhaust out of the header on the opposite side.

Back to back dyno sessions on my car showed that the tweak chamber made more power and torque than open header with 18 inch extensions.

It clears the driveshaft but is close. The chamber can be any length you like and whatever you need to fit the bill on your car. My Swinger has a 12 inch one.

No way does turbodart68's look like yours.. Dang I can't believe you are proud of that work. Night and day difference between the two. :puke:

Mad Dart, his exhaust was a custom job done by a local exhaust shop. If you read the thread it wasn't to his liking.

The benefit is better exhaust scavenging like a 180 degree header, which 180 degree headers are impossible in some cars. The chamber allows the exhaust pulse to expand and create a low pressure area in the other collector and pull exhaust out of the header on the opposite side.

Back to back dyno sessions on my car showed that the tweak chamber made more power and torque than open header with 18 inch extensions.

QUOTE]

Precisely! the open chamber tricks your engine into thinking it has open exhaust with long tube headers.

Nice custom fab work. I hope you welded the pipes on the inside of the chamber where they meet. Better chances of not having a leak.

Mad Dart, his exhaust was a custom job done by a local exhaust shop. If you read the thread it wasn't to his liking.

QUOTE]

Precisely! the open chamber tricks your engine into thinking it has open exhaust with long tube headers.

Nice custom fab work. I hope you welded the pipes on the inside of the chamber where they meet. Better chances of not having a leak.

I did, I also made a small triangular piece in between the tubes to seal the chamber up.

i cant really get a pic but i used the summit 3" X on my duster. it fits good. the car i put it on is kind of low so i did some things to tuck it up closer to the floor. i have made my own X on a few cars but its hard to beat the summit price.

I have a 3.5" x pipe kit on mine from Pypes. Great kit and the price was great from Jegs on eBay.

i couldnt find an affordable 3.5" X so built one for my dart.

I used that X pipe system on my car with the 3" TTIs. No pics but it looks just like the TTI X pipe system. I also have dumps like you will be doing right off the mufflers before the rear axle. The mufflers I used were flow 40s with a 8" long cherry bomb in front of them. The sound is perfect IMO. BTW, the car (68 fish, 416 stroker) went 0.10 QUICKER with the X pipe and mufflers vs open headers.

There is a small pic here:

http://www.ttiexhaust.com/Exhaust-X/XhaustSystems.htm#30HNM

when you run the x-pipe you need to take into consideration your drive shaft safety loop. I had to make a custom one to clear my TTI x-pipe set up. I know this isnt the summit kit but here is what im talking about.

I just don't understand you guys with these X pipes. Don't you think the exhausts running into each other creates a interference of flow.

Think of your exhaust as a **** pipe. If you would have two bathrooms what would happen if you would flush both shitters at one time and the turds would hit the X together. Instant flow restriction.

There is nothing better then a straight run. The straighter the better. Add a cross over for equalization.

I tried an X after a long pull the X turned cherry red. So much that it was glowing under the car like a lamp.

Maybe some of you are putting to big of an exhaust on and need the X for some restriction. I myself have 2 inch tubes and collecting to 3 1/2. An X kills my motor on the big end.

I will be going to 2 1/4 tubes and collecting them into 4 inch with an F2. you don't need equalization with boost. Or should we put X's on the top fuel car also.

Like I said if you need an X your motors to small for your exhaust.

i just don't understand you guys with these x pipes. Don't you think the exhausts running into each other creates a interference of flow.

Think of your exhaust as a **** pipe. If you would have two bathrooms what would happen if you would flush both shitters at one time and the turds would hit the x together. Instant flow restriction.

There is nothing better then a straight run. The straighter the better. Add a cross over for equalization.

I tried an x after a long pull the x turned cherry red. So much that it was glowing under the car like a lamp.

Maybe some of you are putting to big of an exhaust on and need the x for some restriction. I myself have 2 inch tubes and collecting to 3 1/2. An x kills my motor on the big end.

I will be going to 2 1/4 tubes and collecting them into 4 inch with an f2. You don't need equalization with boost. Or should we put x's on the top fuel car also.

Like i said if you need an x your motors to small for your exhaust.

thanks for the helpful post bro.

I just don't understand you guys with these X pipes. Don't you think the exhausts running into each other creates a interference of flow.

Think of your exhaust as a **** pipe. If you would have two bathrooms what would happen if you would flush both shitters at one time and the turds would hit the X together. Instant flow restriction.

Show me an engine that opens exhaust valves on two different cylinders at the same time. The purpose of the x-pipe is exhaust scavenging. What happens if you take the end of a rubber hose with one end in a tank of liquid and blow air across the other end? It should draw the fluid through the rubber tube. This is the same exact principle in an X-pipe exhaust system.

I'm not knocking what your saying about spending more than its worth for this type of system because I agree that the cost far out weights the little extra benefits from going to an x-pipe versus a traditional h-pipe.

I saw years back online a write up on dyno testing an engine with a standard dual exhaust, h-pipe, x-pipe, and a tuned chamber exhaust like the OP has done. The Tuned Chamber exhaust won. I will try to find the article later tonight. It was very interesting! The other thing they explained too is that there is a formula to designing the tuned chamber system properly for your combination. Width, Length, Pipe size, and width of the pipes (center on center) where they enter the chamber all makes a difference on whether or not you'll benefit from the tuned chamber design.

-
Back