super deal on rear glass 64-66 cuda

-
I once won an ebay auction for one of these for $18.60 in the Kansas City area as nobody wants to ship these …… had a coworker whom lived there pick it up and stored it in his basement for two years until I was passing thru....

At one point I had 5 of these.I got lucky and sold one for 40 dollars and another for 30. The last three sat in a corner of the garage for over a decade . At one point I thought about using them as skylites in my cabin . I'd put them up on craigslist and elsewhere with no luck.Then one day I found a kid with a 65 valiant and he was thinking about getting a Barracuda .He gave me 50 for the three and I was glad to be rid of them ! Thing is,they rarely break and people think they are the most valuable piece of glass on the planet but in reality you can't give these away .

At one point I had 5 of these.I got lucky and sold one for 40 dollars and another for 30. The last three sat in a corner of the garage for over a decade . At one point I thought about using them as skylites in my cabin . I'd put them up on craigslist and elsewhere with no luck.Then one day I found a kid with a 65 valiant and he was thinking about getting a Barracuda .He gave me 50 for the three and I was glad to be rid of them ! Thing is,they rarely break and people think they are the most valuable piece of glass on the planet but in reality you can't give these away .
I wish someone would sell one cheap in my area. I would buy just to have a spare, as I am about to remove mine for paint and headliner replacement.

I have a friend who has two of them but we are up here in New York and shipping this stuff would cost a small fortune . Just make sure the guy taking it out and putting it back in knows what he's doing and has real good insurance. They are only cheap when you find someone close by who wants to be rid of it. When you are desperate to replace one bend over

I have a friend who has two of them but we are up here in New York and shipping this stuff would cost a small fortune . Just make sure the guy taking it out and putting it back in knows what he's doing and has real good insurance. They are only cheap when you find someone close by who wants to be rid of it. When you are desperate to replace one bend over
Yea, that is the prob. I will be removing myself. I did one before, but it was 30 years ago.

Yea, that is the prob. I will be removing myself. I did one before, but it was 30 years ago.
removing it is pretty easy. What I used to do is lubricate the gasket next to the glass real good then work my way around it with a piece of stiff plastic like 1/4 in plexi glass until I got the lube worked in to the edge of the glass all around and then I got on my back under it in the car and used my legs to push it upwards . I took about 10 out this way from parts cars . Don't pry up on the edge of the glass ,use pressure from below and not too close to the edges. If you have a new gasket it's real easy if you cut around the edge outside but getting a new gasket could be tough.I'm assuming you want to re use the gasket

Yeah,I've seen people claiming it's the rarest piece of glass on Earth but that is just not true.Maybe now that the car is over 50 years old they are getting hard to get but when I was dealing with then 10 years ago they were a dime a dozen

Funny, every time I saw one on craigslist, they claim it's super rare and quite the deal at $500+
It was that desert king or Desert Rat program where they we're rebuilding a barracuda and talking about how the glass was worth $2, 000 LOL and of course they had this weird accident where it fell off it's Stan and broke and they made some big commotion about it LOL but they never really showed how it fell because as we all know these things can be probably dropped from the moon and do nothing but put a dent in the ground! LOL
And even a better story is the dipstick who we bought my wife 66 Barracuda from went on about how the rear glass alone was worth $2, 000! I couldn't stop laughing and when I finally caught my breath I said you watch a lot of TV don't you? LOL and then when I stop laughing again I said how about if I offer you three of those rear glass pieces for the car? Of course he said no LOL
When I told my buddy about this a couple hours South in Eugene he said he would pay my gas to drive down there and get one out of his yard that's been sitting there far too long! LOL

removing it is pretty easy. What I used to do is lubricate the gasket next to the glass real good then work my way around it with a piece of stiff plastic like 1/4 in plexi glass until I got the lube worked in to the edge of the glass all around and then I got on my back under it in the car and used my legs to push it upwards . I took about 10 out this way from parts cars . Don't pry up on the edge of the glass ,use pressure from below and not too close to the edges. If you have a new gasket it's real easy if you cut around the edge outside but getting a new gasket could be tough.I'm assuming you want to re use the gasket
I have a gasket.

Yep, that’s what I get for them. I actually sold one for $100 once, but that was because I had to take it into the city and drop it off at his friends house!

People look at my car and say that window is really expensive, and i tell them i have 2 spares, that people gave me for free.

I bought a spare for $80. And a new gasket from rpm for $139. And no locking strip. After i specifically asked them to supply if not included. Scoundrels.
So that being said, when you order the window seal, you also need to order a locking strip.

Met a gentleman that had a few rear windows too. His kids towed one behind the snowmobile in the winter, other than it having scratches it survived.

64-66 rear glass was the most expensive in production for those years.

A young guy from our town worked with the filming crew that filmed the Desert Rats episode where the Barracuda back glass was broken. He was quick to tell me about it one time when he came home because he was sure that I would be appalled that they broke such a rare and expensive piece of glass. Then he went on to tell me that they didn't even actually break the Barracuda glass. They broke a back window from some Buick that was on the lot and used film editing to make it appear that they had broke the Barracuda glass.

I got one out of the 65 Barracuda I parted out. And it will probably end up st the landfill when I get tired of looking at it.

When I bought my silver Barracuda, the seller had an extra one. He tried hard to give it to me but I just didn't have a place to store it.

Yeah, all the time I get "I sure hope that back window doesn't break, they cost a fortune". I just say yeah and move on.

I bought a rolled 65 Barracuda from a towing company many years ago. The roof was smashed down but the back glass was laying upside down in the opening. The tow truck driver said it had popped out and was laying in the ditch about fifty feet from the car. I still have that glass and it's in great condition, especially for what it went through. The things are tough!

..Then he went on to tell me that they didn't even actually break the Barracuda glass. They broke a back window from some Buick that was on the lot and used film editing to make it appear that they had broke the Barracuda glass...

They did a similar switch-a-roo in the recent 'Vanishing Point' remake. Instead of totaling a Challenger with 4 Ralleys, they wrecked a 67 Camaro with 2 steelies on the back...then in '99 they wreck a back half with cragars on the back.

vanishingpointart1.4093.jpg

back.jpg

Like somebody said they are cheap if you have somebody close to you wanting to get rid of it. I was in the shop yesterday getting new tires on my Cuda. The owner started to tell me how much the back glass was worth so I just smiled. I have an extra one too. Then he told me he bought one from a guy one time for a $500 and I thought boy you’re probably still sitting on that. Then he told me he sold it to another guy for 1200. So I guess it’s back to the old adage its Worth whatever somebody will pay for it.

have had a few over the years and you can't give the damn thing away.. everyone say they never break..:)

-
Back