Super stock shocks

-
I would think they would be longer ! Longer for more body and rear end separation ! So rear tires will plant harder ! Just my thoughts !!

If you're referring to the shocks for use with Super Stock springs, they're longer than a standard A body shock. Mopar originally spec'ed Imperial shocks for use with S/S springs- modern drag shocks differ substantially from standard Imperial shocks, but you still need the longer length.

Originally, the DC/MP manual recommended the use of Imperial rear shocks, because they were the required 2" or so longer, but thanks to aftermarket parts consolidation, that's not true anymore. So now, you need to get in the catalog and get a shock with an extended length 2" or so longer with all the other attributes being the same.

The car will act kind of funny with short shocks on it... some extra wheel spin and when you're going into a curve the body will lift up and then slam down on one side... supposedly the guys I got the car from raced it but I don't know. Maybe they had high buck shocks and swapped em..it came with the SS Springs and the **** *** short shocks... I was getting the car ready last year for my Bros memorial service and picked some up from Napa... I couldn't get the imperial ones so I think I got them from a 69 or 70 D series pickup truck, after tons of research I was able to find the information right here on f a b o!

The early SS shocks also "valved" differently. The best I can figure is the rears are "basically" stiffer, as seen by the heavier duty applications - big Imperial car and truck shocks, but it is more complicated than that. The Direct Connection "auto" version is definitely softer than the "stick" version. While they are used to control suspension movement because of the greater and more sudden "shock" :rolleyes: loads caused by drag racing launches, modern converter, clutch and tire technology has made it necessary to develop more modern shocks and valving to control suspension movement. I had better results with the stiffer Direct Connection "stick" shocks with my 360 and actual 5000 rpm flash converters footbraking than with their auto shocks. I was getting occasional wheel-hop under certain conditions even with SS springs. But I finally settled on 5 & 9-way adjustable Ranchos in the back of my Dart Sport. They have to control the up AND down movements of the suspension. Too much movement too quickly contributes to traction problems.

Like an engine combo, the suspension combo of parts has to be tailored with the rest of the vehicle and level of performance you are aiming for in order to get optimum results.

Front shocks for a 4wd 78 Ramcharger are like 23.5 extended length and have an eyelet on both ends. But a set I had seemed overpressurized, didn't want to compress which may work for racing!

If you're referring to the shocks for use with Super Stock springs, they're longer than a standard A body shock. Mopar originally spec'ed Imperial shocks for use with S/S springs- modern drag shocks differ substantially from standard Imperial shocks, but you still need the longer length.

Interesting. I run my stock shocks with SS springs in my 500 RB motored Dart. Seems fine.:rolleyes:

-
Back