Superstock Springs @#$%^&@#^%&

-

trapster

Reaction score
So I bought a set of superstock springs, and did not like the height or the lean. So I bought a spring hanger with multiple holes and a second passenger side spring. Now I have 2 passenger springs on the car a the ride height is fine. Fast forward a few years and I swapped out the rear rims for something wider, but kept the same tires (size). Now the passenger side tire is against the fender, and the drivers side has about 1.5" of clearance. Should I assume that the springs are causing the offset or could it be something else ? Are the springs designed to push slightly outward as well as down?

Better check the bushings and all the fasteners that hold the rear end, it sounds like it shifted. We're there measure taken with the car sitting level?

Better check the bushings and all the fasteners that hold the rear end, it sounds like it shifted. We're there measure taken with the car sitting level?

It was like this from day one, but the stock rallye Rims were narrower and didn't rub.

So I bought a set of superstock springs, and did not like the height or the lean. So I bought a spring hanger with multiple holes and a second passenger side spring. Now I have 2 passenger springs on the car a the ride height is fine. Fast forward a few years and I swapped out the rear rims for something wider, but kept the same tires (size). Now the passenger side tire is against the fender, and the drivers side has about 1.5" of clearance. Should I assume that the springs are causing the offset or could it be something else ? Are the springs designed to push slightly outward as well as down?
You having a clearance problem at the front of the finder or in the middle at the top of the fender.

The bottom, :) Well the top sidewall of the tire is hitting the fender. It is like the whole rear is shift towards the Passenger side by an inch.

Time to do some measuring. Is rear a A-body rear? maybe someone didn't locate the spring perches correctly before they were welded on?
Car could have been in a wreck at some point.

The car has never been in a wreck, and didn't have this problem with the 002/003 spring set, only when I changed to the 003/003 springs.

I have the same set on my 68 Barracuda and I'm not having the issues you are. Without inspecting the car it's hard to say what the issue is.

I guess I need to drop a plumb line from the frame and measure to the Perch, backing plate, etc.
I don't know if I have owned a mopar that is 100% symmetrical. 1.5 inches is alot however. Yes I would start dropping plumb bobs and measuring. Changing one spring can't "stretch" the differential. It's either now off Center, if it ever was centered. And/or your quarters aren't 100% symmetrical from centerline.

The car may not be square to start with. Factory quality control wasn’t around. The change in clearance is odd.
Double check the attaching parts to the spring again.
The S/S springs are designed to have that funny tilt for racing purposes.

1.5 inches is a lot, that has to be visible of something wrong. A lot of people use same side super stock spring, they are perfect for street cars.

The car has never been in a wreck, and didn't have this problem with the 002/003 spring set, only when I changed to the 003/003 springs.
may sound stupid, but is there a left and right side spring pack or is either side inter changeable?

There is a left and right spring and they are able to be swapped. Bad move though.

There is a left and right spring and they are able to be swapped. Bad move though.
Why stock springs are the same number. I been doing this trick with SS springs for 20 years nothing wrong with it. car sits nice and level and rides nice.

ok, maybe 1.5" was a bit of an exaggeration, but it is off enough to cause a problem.
20200331_003539.jpg
20200331_003613.jpg

ok, maybe 1.5" was a bit of an exaggeration, but it is off enough to cause a problem. View attachment 1715497572 View attachment 1715497573
Those Radial T/A's are a stiff sidewall. the picture looks like it has room. is it hitting?

if not...i had much less room that that with T/A's on my dart for years. (or at least what it looks like you have in the picture) i literally had maybe 1/8 of an inch. those sidewalls dont flex at ALL.

That is VERY common on these cars. I'm not sure where the variable is, but precision was not job one.

Put it back to your 002/003 configuration and see what happens. You may have to live with it if it eliminates the issue.

Why stock springs are the same number. I been doing this trick with SS springs for 20 years nothing wrong with it. car sits nice and level and rides nice.
You miss understand. I’m speaking of swapping the springs side to side, not using the same spring on both sides.

-
Back