supporting engine in car without 904 transmission installed?

-

Samsquanch

Reaction score
Hey my mopar brethren and sistren,
is that a word?
Anyhow, I need to know how to support an engine (360 magnum) in the engine compartment (1968 Barracuda fastback) without the transmission mounted up and still be able to roll the car back and forth. It might be a while before I get the new tranny back and I want to get this old 318 pulled and up on the stand to pull apart. Being the motor mounts are at the front of the block I'm fairly sure but not 100% that I cant leave it supported only by the motor mounts. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

You will likely ruin the motor mounts and bust your distributor cap if you let the motor rest only on the front mounts.

How about a 2x4 across the inner fender aprons and a rope or wire down to the middle bell housing bolt hole?

Damn treed by Uncle Bob :)

2x4 across the inner fenders, tow strap looped under the oil pan at the rear of the motor. Just enough tension to hold it where it is.

last time I had to do that, I cut a 2x4 to fit across the fender flanges by the hinges, braced it with a length of angle iron on top and hung the backs of the heads with chains.

The next time I added a scissors jack mounted to a 1x4 on one side, so I could adjust the angle if necessary.

You don't need to brace the support, there is not that much weight "at the rear." Just use some rags if your bay is nice painted, lay a 2x4 or 6 across, and a simple bike tie down or ratchet strap

If I 'member, seems like I once pulled the trans and used a ratchet/ tie strap up over the front frame members, and under a block of wood under the pan. I lifted the rear of the engine by hand.

I've seen all sorts of methods. If your firewall is real nice and you don't want to scuff or chip the paint, a padded inner fender to inner fender support bar is the way to go. If paint chips aren't an issue, a block of wood the correct size between the back of the block and the firewall works fine. So does a chain from an upper bell housing bolt to the wiper motor mount. I've also seen blocks of wood between the oil pan and steering linkage too, but, I haven't tried that myself.

I keep 12 X 12 blocks in the garage to support various items. Currently supporting the 225 while the transmission is out.

I always just let the back of the engine sit on the center link. Whatever motor I was working on - small block, big block or Hemi. Not saying that's the best way, but I've never had a problem doing it that way.

-
Back