Sure grip and 8-3/4 questions

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
OK the one thing I don't have much experience with is the different sure grip units. My questions are what is best (cone type or clutch type) and what will interchange into what carriers. Can you use either the cone or clutch in any carrier (741,742,489)?? Or do certain carriers only accept certain SG units?

Right now my 68 Cuda has a 8-3/4 with a 489 case and 4:10 gears. Since the rear is all put together I don't know what type SG unit it has until I take it out. The rear is probably not original to the car cause it was a 318 2 bbl car originally.

I have located a empty 742 case which I plan on installing a SG unit and 3.23 gears in for use when cruising. I need to know what SG unit to get. Cone or Clutch.

You would want to go with a clutch type unit. They are more easily rebuilt with new clutchs if you ever need to.
The different cases will work with any housing as long as you replace it as a unit. Don't start trying to mix and match pieces from a 489 to a 742. It doesn't work.
All the stock axels had 30 splines. Some of the aftermarket units have 35 splines. This is something you should watch for.

Jack

I agree go with the clutch type suregrip they are cheap to rebuild and as strong as any. The cone type can be repaired once but it is expensive and a pain to do. as far as sure grips go any sure grip will fit any housing. a late 489 housing most likely is clutch type as the cone type was a early design but I have seen the cone type turn up in some strange setups before

You should check out the new Detroit Suregrip, I just read an article about it in MOPAR ACTION, it has NO clutches, NO springs, NO cones, it is all gear and torque driven. I know it is what I am going with. I know Detroit is know for lockers however this is brand new.

Randy

I saw that article too . Pretty interesting design but I bet its E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E!!

let us know what it costs when you get it

did they finally make the true-trac for mopars now?
They have been out for awhile for fords and gms. the ford one is about 400....not bad at all

Thanks for the replies. I kinda figured as much on the clutch type being better but just wanted opinions from guys that know. I saw that article in Mopar Action but unfortunately right now can't afford one. I know a guy with a bunch of Mopar parts that I can do some trading with so that's why I'm after factory parts.
My main concern was if any sure grip unit from one carrier would fit in another. i.e. A unit from a 489 case fit into a 742 case. I read on another board where a guy said they were different from case to case. Another guy came back and said they weren't different so I wasn't sure who to believe.

Thanks again gents.

the guy that said they are different is right, but they STILL interchange....again, just gotta use the bearings for the case that the diff is SUPPOSED to be in.....like 741/742 bearings for a clutch type, and 489 bearings for a cone type.....the outside diameter is the same for all 3....it's the inside diameter that's different

Actually a 489 housing is probably a cone type. They are the later housings. 742 cases would be more likely to have a clutch type in it. You can but a new clutch type from Mancini for about $450

green67cuda said:
the guy that said they are different is right, but they STILL interchange....again, just gotta use the bearings for the case that the diff is SUPPOSED to be in.....like 741/742 bearings for a clutch type, and 489 bearings for a cone type.....the outside diameter is the same for all 3....it's the inside diameter that's different

I see. Maybe I mis-read what he meant. Thanks again.

-
Back