Sure-grip question

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
I picked up a clutch type sure-grip unit for my 8-3/4 to replace the worn out cone type and I ordered a Mopar rebuild kit for it so everything would be fresh. Just got it in today and I took it out of the package too look at it and it has the same amount of discs in it as the unit does but I noticed something strange. They are all steel discs. There's the ones with ears that engage into the carrier and what are called clutch discs in my factory serv. manual that have splines on the I.D. but they have no friction material on any plates like an auto trans does. Is this right??? This is my first time rebuilding a sure-grip so I'm uneducated in them but I thought I'd see friction material on at least one set of plates. The old ones didn't have any material on them either but I thought it was because they were worn out.

Thanks, Tracy

The ones you have are correct. The discs that wear are smooth metal too, but I think they are made of a different type of metal to help it grab. There was no "grip, lining, or clutch disc material on them.

-
Back