Sure grip swap

-

zigs

Reaction score
Changed sure grip from cone to clutch from Dr Diff. Put everything back together per shop manual . I end up with an 1/8" gap on driver side. Pass side sets correctly . I've done this three times now with same results. I have no binding everything went back in no problems. Is that gap a problem or should there be 0.
IMG_20191024_102025807.jpg

That gap isn't important, it's the actual measured endplay, depending on the axle bearing type. There's a procedure in the FSM.

Passenger side sets both with tapered bearings . Better loose then tight. Drive around the block it then recheck and set to spec.

End play should be the same on both sides

Wrong. That's not how it's set. You need to read the FSM. What you describe is how it ends up by "default" but you must do it correctly. If you simply adjust the passenger's side, you will end up with an incorrect adjustment.

Passenger side sets both with tapered bearings . Better loose then tight. Drive around the block it then recheck and set to spec.
Axles on jack stands. I can't pull the axle out , it just moves that much when I pull it back and forth.

Axles on jack stands. I can't pull the axle out , it just moves that much when I pull it back and forth.

You need to do it like I described in the FSM. You must get all the play over to the passenger's side, then adjust it. Where you have to be careful is, when you go to push the passenger's side axle in to bottom it and pull it back out to get your measurement. If you push it in too far, you have to start all over again on the driver's side. In fact, I recommend doing that a couple of times so you can get the feel of it and then you can feel when you move only the passenger's side axle better.

This is what I have . Reading right from Dr Diff. 8 3/4 clutch sure grip powr-lok
Upgraded 1 piece 30 spline side gears
NO BUTTONS

You need to do it like I described in the FSM. You must get all the play over to the passenger's side, then adjust it. Where you have to be careful is, when you go to push the passenger's side axle in to bottom it and pull it back out to get your measurement. If you push it in too far, you have to start all over again on the driver's side. In fact, I recommend doing that a couple of times so you can get the feel of it and then you can feel when you move only the passenger's side axle better.
I've moved it a bunch Every time it fails I start over. I even pulled axles a couple time to see if I was missing anything. Pretty straight forward stuff
I'm getting frustrated probably something simple I'm not seeing.

This is what I have . Reading right from Dr Diff. 8 3/4 clutch sure grip powr-lok
Upgraded 1 piece 30 spline side gears
NO BUTTONS

Oh. Then you must have the green bearings. Is there an adjustment cage on the passenger side axle? I'm gettin confooshused now. lol

I've moved it a bunch Every time it fails I start over. I even pulled axles a couple time to see if I was missing anything. Pretty straight forward stuff
I'm getting frustrated probably something simple I'm not seeing.

Don't let it get to you man. It's just a thing. Drink you a beer or some sweet tea and take a break.

Don't let it get to you man. It's just a thing. Drink you a beer or some sweet tea and take a break.
Ya . I'll pull an axle tomorrow and get a picture if the bearing . I thought they were OEM but the did race the thing.
Thanks Rusty

Last edited:
U don’t have green bearings if ur adjusting the axle play. Try swapping the axles side to side. The only time I had a problem like urs was when an adjuster wouldn’t move on the threads far enough. Kim

That is right Roy. I was thinking that but it never got past that. Lol. Green bearings wouldn’t let the axle move side to side, unless there is an obvious problem. Kim

U don’t have green bearings if ur adjusting the axle play. Try swapping the axles side to side. The only time I had a problem like urs was when an adjuster wouldn’t move on the threads far enough. Kim
I can screw the adjuster all the way in until threads disappear.

Getting old is a *****, ain't it. A very good friend and I had our "service date" today. We both have new 2500 CTD 4x4's. We get together and have a rotate the tires, change fuel filters, change oil and filter date. It's pitiful to watch two fat old men have to grab each tire/wheel and remove them and install them.

As stated if the thrust buttons are not there u will never get the axle play set. U need the buttons, plain and simple. Kim
Your probably right Tomorrow I'll pull axles and take pictures to make sure
then order the buttons. Wonder why Diff didn't add them.

Wrong. That's not how it's set. You need to read the FSM. What you describe is how it ends up by "default" but you must do it correctly. If you simply adjust the passenger's side, you will end up with an incorrect adjustment.

Sorry your wrong, You adjust it so there is 0 play. Them adjust.
I was talking about when it's set correctly both sides will be the same, if they are not you have a problem. If you have tapered bearings you have to have the buttons, no buttons you have to run the ball bearings and there is no adjustment.

Axle adjustment.jpg

I was talking about when it's set correctly both sides will be the same, if they are not you have a problem. If you have tapered bearings you have to have the buttons, no buttons you have to run the ball bearings and there is no adjustment.

View attachment 1715413381

No sir. You mentioned not one thing about the FSM way until now. Nice move.

View attachment 1715413381

There was nothing I said that was "wrong". Ask zigs how I described it in a PM. You MUST get all the free play on the passenger's side first. Which is what I told him. So, point out in my post where there was a mistake. There was none.

-
Back