Survey '64-'66 Barracudas

-

wheelsport

Reaction score
I have been threatend with being baned from a gas station because my car spues gas every time I fill up. I have tried a slow flow and a couple other things that don't work.
I would like to survey '64-'66 Barrracuda owners as to how many owners have the problem with re-fueling spit-back. Also, has anyone found a real solution to this problem.

I remember reading about this before on here, and someone said if you turn the gas nozzle to one side or the other when filling, it eliminates the spit back.

slow fill , take a towel. listen for the change in the "note" of the fuel rushing in and you can stop before it overflows.

and remember, in 1966 gas was "Full Service" it was the attendants problem, not the owner,
so I don't think Ma Mopar cared...

I actually invert the fill nozzle so that the hose from the pump is facing up. But I also practice not filling at full speed for the last half of tank and carry a rag or grab paper towels on the island to quickly mop up spills with. Modern gas pumps and car fuel systems are designed for higher fill rates than our older car systems can often deal with. Have you checked your vent line to make sure it's clear? In areas with strict vapor control laws, where the pump boot has to be pressed/sealed against the fuel neck, a plugged vent line can create excess back pressure like you describe. I suggest the vent line because when I overfill my car it just runs out but it does not spew or blow out as if there is air pressure pushing it as you described.

There’s a flow back preventer available through Laysons to fix that problem. Message member “Rick@Laysons”, Hell hook you up.

All the early A's do that. **** the nozzle to one side or upside down ;like the guys said or the backflow preventer like Cosgig mentioned.

Ditto on everything previously mentioned....My go to method is hold nozzle upside down and I don't do automatic setting for 'fill_ups'...I use my tripometer. I divide 12mpg (my avg.) into miles traveled and put the correct amount of gas in.

I actually invert the fill nozzle so that the hose from the pump is facing up. But I also practice not filling at full speed for the last half of tank and carry a rag or grab paper towels on the island to quickly mop up spills with. Modern gas pumps and car fuel systems are designed for higher fill rates than our older car systems can often deal with. Have you checked your vent line to make sure it's clear? In areas with strict vapor control laws, where the pump boot has to be pressed/sealed against the fuel neck, a plugged vent line can create excess back pressure like you describe. I suggest the vent line because when I overfill my car it just runs out but it does not spew or blow out as if there is air pressure pushing it as you described.

I do remember working in the gas station in the early 70's and would have to check the oil, trans fluid, top off the washer solvent, wash the windows, talk to the customers and wait for it to fill up and it still splashed out at the end, yea it was most definitely slower back then.

Thanks for all the replies. I tried all the postions fo the filler hose but the hose pointing down at ninty degrees. None of them worked. Listening to the flow is hard with all the confusion present and being death in one ear. The overflow tube is clear. I looked at Grimreapers suggested sites. It looks like a baffle is the real answer. Most cars built since the insepsion of unleaded gas have a baffle to restrict the size of the nozzle which also stops most splash back.

My 65 Dart does the same thing. I try to just listen to when it’s about to overflow. I live in a state where other jackfrosts try pump your gas for you. I don’t get any blow back from the workers when it overflows.

I have been threatend with being baned from a gas station because my car spues gas every time I fill up. I have tried a slow flow and a couple other things that don't work.
I would like to survey '64-'66 Barrracuda owners as to how many owners have the problem with re-fueling spit-back. Also, has anyone found a real solution to this problem.
I have a ‘65 ‘Cuda. I always fill on slow notch and stop when it clicks off. No problems.

Banned from a gas station?
I've been banned from Moparts, banned from a few nightclubs, banned from jobsites but I have never heard of anyone being banned from a gas station. That is funny!

I take two of the gas station paper towels and loosely wrap them around the nozzle to make a "gasket". Then fill up holding it in place until the tank is full. When it clicks and stops, wait a few seconds. Remove the nozzle and throw the paper towels in the garbage. Been doing it this way for years.

I use non-ethanol, REC 90, it's called in Georgia.

The pump nozzle has blue plastic and is a variable nozzle so I can run it as slow as possible. Usually I will see gas puddling inside the tube and stop before it comes out.

Bad thing is my hand starts to cramp from holding the darn thing so long!!

All the "regular gas" nozzles around start fast and immediately sprew gas out.

Upside down works for me in CA, there is usually 2-3 positions for fill rate, use the lowest. My 57 Ford with the filler behind the license did the same thing. When I bought mine it has the "Early-A racing stripe" already in place.. (paint stripped in a overflow pattern from the gas cap). I should just reroute the fill neck in the trunk to a more standard angle.

-
Back