Survivor 1972 Dodge D100 found.....

-

Button

74 Dart Swinger
Reaction score
This past weekend my son and I found another "Survivor" MOPAR. This time it was a 1972 D100 pickup truck. We actually saw the 3X5 black and white ad on the Ft Hood post exchange 4-sale board. The ad said it still had it's original paint and that along with the straight front end caught my eye. The guy was asking $1600 so we called and went and checked it out this past Sunday. We drove to his ranch in Pidcoke, Texas and found the truck sitting in tall grass where it had sat for the past three months without beinbg started. We brought along a battery and some gas and after about 15 seconds of cranking, the engine fired and went into a smooth and very quiet idle. He is the 3rd owner and it was his ranch truck for two years. It has an amazingly straight body with only one small dent under the driver side tail light and one small dent in the very top of the grill. Heck, my 97 Ram 4X4 has more door dings and marks than this 38 year old truck. Even the bed is only scratched, not dented at all. The interior is the roughest part with a cracked dash and torn seat cover but otherwise is also very solid, especially the floors. The engine is a 225-1 slant six with three-on-the-tree, which should prove interesting since I've never driven a column shift before. We will pick it up this weekend and I'll post "after" pictures of it once we polish her all up. I may have to replace the tires if they are too dry-rotted but I'm keeping the white spoke wheels since they are period correct and are in great shape as well. Gotta love these southern finds!

100_0929.jpg

100_0930.jpg

100_0935.jpg

100_0936.jpg

100_0939.jpg

....how did I know... it would be "butterscotch"..... well at least it looks solid..have fun !

-RPM

Nice find, that thing is nice and straight. That truck would sell for $3000 in my neck of the woods and it wouldn't be as solid. Btw love that dart, I have its twin in my garage.

That is a nice truck, nice price too. I wish I could find something like that around this area.

This was our $1,000, original owner, "Survivor" 1974 Dart Swinger when we found it 14 Sept 08 and after just one year of cleaning and dressing up a little. It took second in a local car show much my 15 year old sons delight. However while the Dart is his, the D100 is mine to play with.

74 Dodge front.jpg

74 Dodge rear.jpg

Show front.jpg

Show rear.jpg

waxed Dart eng.jpg

74 Dodge front.jpg

74 Dodge rear.jpg

Show front.jpg

Show rear.jpg

waxed Dart eng.jpg

eng when found 14 Sept 08.jpg

Nice truck, what a great find you have there, way to go. Looks like you'll have a good truck for a long time.

Wish I could find a truck like that here. I need to start working on the Power Wagon.

Sweet truck, I am looking for one just like it........salt sucks up here!! Nice dart by the way too! Great father/son combo!

This will irritate some of you even more that thought the price was a great deal, I ended up paying $1,300 for it. He dropped to $1,400 since it needed a battery and I called him the next day and offered $1,300. After a short pause he agreed. It seems he just got married a few months ago and his new wife hates the country and wants to move to the city. So he is selling his ranch, 15 head of cattle, his tractor, and this truck to make the move. So I guess I have her to ultimately thank, haha.

BTW, My wife and I are originaly from Ohio before I joined the military, so we know all about rusty vehicles and road salt. I'm always telling my son how lucky he is to have found his Dart here in Texas, because it would be a total "rust-bucket" in Ohio. And I agree with "Daliant", both of these vehicles would sell for a lot more up north than they do here in Texas.

Two things i've noticed about 72- 79 dodge trucks are the roof seam above the windshield are notorious for rust. You'll soon grow to hate that hood, any time it rains or whenever you wash it the two pockets in the middle collect a large amount of water, leaves, pine needles, dirt, ect.. which spill onto the wiring harness if you open it to quick. Seeing those before pics of your dart brings back memories, it looks almost exactly like mine when I first got it. I have the same dent on the driver fender and I did the same thing with the roof, I even left the trim off the back window.100_0132.jpg I only paid $200 for it8) but that was 12 years ago.

100_0132.jpg

What is it about that dent in the left fender. My 71 has the same thing the PO just slapped fiberglass resin over it and called it good. It there have been a recall that we could all get in on?:finga:

OK wishful thinking.

We picked up the truck yesterday and drove it to my storage unit where it will remain until I get it tagged. But I will tell you one thing, that "three on the tree" was no joke. I've never driven one before and that combined with no power steering or power brakes was a work out, haha. A new experience for me. I guess I'm spoiled by todays modern power assisted driving. The truck will be mainly for occasional driving and shown in car shows as a "survivor" along side my sons Swinger.

I'm looking for the correct paint scheme for the slant-6 in my 1972 D100 that I have in storage. Does anyone have a painted up engine to share with me?

000_1404.jpg

000_1405.jpg

000_1406.jpg

000_1407.jpg

The block,intake,valve cover,water pump,thermostat housing,all Chrysler blue.

Motor mounts,alternator bracket,pulleys,fan,Satin black.

Exhaust manifold,Cast.

That is one sweet truck and like 67gt said those colors look great too! Lemme know if you want to sell it.

-
Back