Suspension rebuild first time

-

Evildrken

Reaction score
So I've been building up parts for years and I'm looking at taking the big step this next week.. I had a freind weld up a 1973 kmember and lower arms. Picked up remanufactured spindles and tubular upper arms plan on getting a borgenson and big brakes. But want to make the swap i the next week for fall fling out here in LA..
I was going to do it with a Jack and jack stands and trying to rent or borrow and engine hoist.. any last minute advice?

Started with a $125 front end. Pic #1
Finished with this. Pic #2
Everything is powder coated & brand new. Did this in my basement. It can be done. :)

20170429_160434.jpg

20170704_220758.jpg

Just taking it one piece at a time. Not sure if I need a ball joint separator or a pickle fork?.. and if the k member bolts are really hard to get out?.. I have the incredibly painfull headers that wrap around the tortion bars. So I'm not sure how hard it will be to pull them. Or is there a better way if you are pulling out the k member?

IACH=full]1715237958[/ATTACH]

20181017_201727.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work. And I thought mine looked good. Yours looks better.

You don't need a cherry picker unless you're pulling the engine, too, BUT I've installed a big block, 4 speed, and k-member with three floor jacks in the past. If you're not pulling the engine it just needs to be supported, which can be done with a jack on the oil pan with a piece of plywood between the pan and jack or with a bar across the frame rails supporting the engine.

Nice work. And I thought mine looked good. Yours looks better.
Thanks... Trying to make it more of a go-car than a show car.. and it is my first time. So it take me three times as long to do anything..

You can just slide the torsion bars back, no need to take them all the way out. If you do, be sure to mark them left and right and put them back in the same place.
I would just use a chain fall or an engine hoist to lift the engine a few inches. Let it hang until you get the K frame swapped and then just drop in down in place.
The K frame bolts are usually not bad to get out. You will want to use an impact gun.

Oh... Things are moving along. Pulled a bunch of parts working my way back to the k member.. so I think u need to pull the stearing box? Or can I pull it out all on one piece with the k member? And can I just unhook the steering coupler or do I need to pull the steering wheel shaft back out?

20181024_084928.jpg

20181024_084928.jpg

You can remove K frame with steering box on but why? Its going to add alot of weight and its only 3 bolts to get the box off.

-
Back