Suspension upgrade?

-

Steve Mcbean

Reaction score
Loving my new 727 tranny with OD, but at 75 mph, it gets sketchy coming around turns on the freeway. Steering has no play, but would appreciate stiffer steering.

Would a whole kit be warranted?

Perhaps your strut rods are allowing your lower control arms to move excessively fore or aft.

I would add QA1 strut rods and take a look at you pitman and idler arms first. Next I would get solid tie rod adjusters.

What kind of condition is the rest of the front end in? Bushings, etc. "No play" doesn't tell you much other than your tie rod ends may be okay...

What kind of condition is the rest of the front end in? Bushings, etc. "No play" doesn't tell you much other than your tie rod ends may be okay...

Everything looks solid with no play, but steering is soft and I have to keep both arms strong on steering wheel to keep from turning wheel slightly, thus changing lanes.

Is this the 71 Demon in your avatar?

is it mostly a stock appearing car?

For stock appearing, I’d go with:
  1. firm feel steering gear. To reduce the over assisted/boosted steering feel
  2. Moog 7103 upper bushings for increased caster alignment numbers. To help center the car at higher speeds and reduce wondering effect and feel
  3. Poly sway bar end links on your factory front sway bar for quicker more immediate sway control when changing lanes on freeway.

Last edited:
FIRST thing to do is evaluate what you have. Get a friend and look for any play, anywhere, WATCH as the friend moves the wheel from the column on down.

WHAT do you have for shocks, tires, T bars? Was it a slant car? Does it have at the least a factory anti-sway bar?

How about REAR springs and condition. MUCH wandering "soft" steering is due to play in the spring shackles or just weak springs.

TIRES very important, and SHOCKS

As others have said, alignment.

I had similar issues and did the 'pump it down' procedure on my power steering pump. I love it now.... (assuming you have PS).

Ck air pressure in both tires.....rotate them front to back to make sure you don't have a shifted belt (had this happen with new tires so can't tell by looking) and as others have said bad alignment or worn steering components.

i wouldn't spend a dime until you first verify everything is tight under there and verify the alignment numbers..

I have a 67 Dart that has had extensive suspension and handling improvements and upgrades. I did quite a bit of research and talked to those who knew stuff. I have a range of awesome products now on my car.

It depends on your use of the car, and budget. These components are 50 years old right.

Have a good look on here in the suspension forum. You will find a few stand-out members. And some great vendors too.

I am happy to chat off-line too.

Andy

I have a 67 Dart that has had extensive suspension and handling improvements and upgrades. I did quite a bit of research and talked to those who knew stuff. I have a range of awesome products now on my car.

It depends on your use of the car, and budget. These components are 50 years old right.

Have a good look on here in the suspension forum. You will find a few stand-out members. And some great vendors too.

I am happy to chat off-line too.

Andy

Good advice there…^^^. Actually it’s all good
I had similar issues with my ‘67 barracuda, handled and steered like a tractor. After a lot of reading, here’s my winter project.

• Firm feel 20:1 manual steering
  • Firm feel suspension rebuild kit
  • Firm feel tubular upper control arms
  • Firm feel HD adjustable strut rods
  • Box in the lower control arms
  • Greasable lower pins
  • Poly bushings
  • Hellwig sway bars front and rear
  • Hotchkins subframe connectors
Sure I got a little carried away but Firm Feel (Frank)has amazing costumer service and have extensive experience with Mopars.

Firm Feel Inc. Steering and Suspension for Chrysler Plymouth & Dodge

Last edited:
We’re getting way ahead of this. Although there’s lots of great suspension suggestions, there’s a really good chance that the issue being described is an alignment, tires or improperly adjusted power steering box type problem.

The Mopar factory suspension is a purdy dang goodun. As mentioned already, I would make sure everything is in good condition. Strut rod bushings and lower control arm bushings need to be inspected closely as both can cause clunking and pulling. Make sure the upper control arm bushings are good as failure there can cause changes in caster and camber. If the parts all look good, including tires, find someone with an old school alignment shop and have the alignment checked.

We’re getting way ahead of this. Although there’s lots of great suspension suggestions, there’s a really good chance that the issue being described is an alignment, tires or improperly adjusted power steering box type problem.

Agree to all of that.

He did say that steering had no play, but it’s not “stiff”. That sounds like overboosted. But depends on how accurate the “no play” diagnosis was, I guess.

If all the suspension and steering parts are in good shape I'd start with dialing in the max possible caster (alignment) and doing the "Pump it Down" mod if you have a Saginaw PS pump. Those two things will drastically improve steering feel and tracking at highway speeds. THEN you can start going down the rabbit hole of suspension and steering upgrades lol, that aftermarket for classic Mopars is pretty big these days and still growing.

The very first upgrade I did to my Duster back in 2008 was a Firm Feel Stage 2 PS box when I rebuilt the front end, also used offset UCA bushings for more caster. Before that it was almost undrivable on the freeway, super overboosted (too little effort/feel) steering and I had to constantly correct just to stay in my lane going straight. After that it was great, I drove it all over Colorado it was a fantastic highway cruiser.

Last edited:
-
Back