SW tach sender repair

Early A-Body Discussions

1. pishta

pishta I know I'm right....

Local Time:
    3:32 AM
    Repairing a blown 66 tach sender: 25uf radial capacitor (top under burned resistor location) popped its cap right off, 4.1 ohm resistor blew itself in half (removed from dark top area) and the 100 ohm potentiometer (removed from access hole area) tested ok @ 66 ohm adjusted where I got it. Nice 'X-ray' view of single layer bakelite (?) PCB if you've never seen one out of the can. Components are on front side and the traces are thin copper foils covered in solder on the back. There is 1 germanium transistor (3 lead green oval by thumbnail) that I hope is still good as they are long out of production and even the NOS ones are now bad due to age. 2 vintage yellow Radial poly film caps (.1 and ,047uf 200 VDC) are known to guitar players as 'audio caps'. Not sure what the windings are for, perhaps stepping up/down some signal. I should be able to repair these if this fixed one works out for my guy.

20200316_203247.jpg '

• Like Like x 1
    • Murray

Murray FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      I think new boards are available.

• Demonic

Demonic Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      6:32 AM
      Main Page - rte

Maybe check out the FAQ here before you expend a bunch of effort on paper caps.

• Like Like x 1
      • pishta

pishta I know I'm right....

Local Time:
        This repair will be < $5, as opposed to $75. Keeping it stock......

Also the original board is NOT made of paper (bakelite is processed wood as paper is but its thicker and rigid like fiberglass) and it IS coated on the solder side. Just an observation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.