Swap?

-

cuda620

Reaction score
Hi, I'm considering a 6.1 hemi into an A body. Not sure yet. Lookin for advice from someone that's been that route. Otherwise, 451. Things I know I want:
1. 727 or 904 tranny. No floor cutting.
2. A stand alone harness. Easy enough to hook up my gauges or aftermarket.
3. Cable throttle body, no fly by wire
4. May go carb and msd. Did it on an LS. Was great.
5. No fenderwell headers.
Fuel is easy. Gonna sump the tank and external fuel pump with carb or injection. Can it be done?

I haven't done it but RMS makes a front suspension with the mounts you need and I do use his front suspension.

I'd give him a call, if he's making those I'd bet he's very knowledgeable about that swap.

I haven't done it but RMS makes a front suspension with the mounts you need and I do use his front suspension.

I'd give him a call, if he's making those I'd bet he's very knowledgeable about that swap.

I agree, Bill is a great resource and very helpful. My swap used his front and rear suspension with a power steering rack. TTI makes a specific header for this swap as well. I used a manual tranny.

SRT8CUDA Build

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks guys. If I gotta cut my floor any or swap out my K member,it's not worth it to me. Thanks for the info.

Suspension swaps are unnecessary

But make life really easy in addition to killing many birds with one stone.

When I built my first A body I used the factory K-member to put the 440 in place of the 340. I pulled all the front suspension, sandblasted prepped and painted every part.

In retrospect, this was a waste, 3 fold.... (and I'm sure I'm leaving things out)

1. I should have powdercoated
2. I still had the junk pre 73 biscuit mounts (and all the issues that come with them when doing the conversion)
3. It still handled like a 69 dart

Unless it was a low buck driver or non-restoration car, it's tough to pass up the function and beauty of an after market K-member.

I know a thing or 2 about handling, and I can tell you for certain that the aftermarket suspension swaps will NOT improve handling over a PROPERLY tuned torsion bar suspension. Now, that said, there is probably lots more room for headers and such, with the aftermarket system, but the OP was asking if he needed all that, and the answer is no.

No doubt the Rams stuffs good. I can't justify or afford the 4500 plus to do it. If that's what it takes to do a 6.1, I'll just stick with the 400/440 swap. Heimjoints also transmitt too much vibration and don't last on the street. Me and several others tried them as the ultimate,,,, tie Rod end on our 4x4's,they didn't workout.

they make a 904 to GEn3 hemi piece or is it the same? 904's are so skinny where the need to be.

No doubt the Rams stuffs good. I can't justify or afford the 4500 plus to do it. If that's what it takes to do a 6.1, I'll just stick with the 400/440 swap. Heimjoints also transmitt too much vibration and don't last on the street. Me and several others tried them as the ultimate,,,, tie Rod end on our 4x4's,they didn't workout.

You do not need an aftermarket front end setup, it's just easier and saves a lot of time.

You sell your stock stuff. Buffers the cost a bit...

Don't forget to add all of the restoration costs, resto parts, upgrade parts and Schumacher swap parts to your stock system.

Heim joints work great on the street. At least the ones that come on the AlterKation do. They don't transmit anything and they don't wear out quick. Mine have been on there for years now and they are just fine.

Just an FYI he does sells bushing parts as well.

You do not need an aftermarket front end setup, it's just easier and saves a lot of time.

You sell your stock stuff. Buffers the cost a bit...

Don't forget to add all of the restoration costs, resto parts, upgrade parts and Schumacher swap parts to your stock system.

Heim joints work great on the street. At least the ones that come on the AlterKation do. They don't transmit anything and they don't wear out quick. Mine have been on there for years now and they are just fine.

Just an FYI he does sells bushing parts as well.
Thanks. I just can't afford the costs associated with swapping out the front K member and suspension. I just thought this would be a cool swap compared to building and swapping in a 440/451. I figured it would cost about the same but 425 hp,better mpg, etc. I almost did an LS swap, but sold my son in las my built ls3 for his Camaro instead. That way I could afford to keep it mopar. I found a bollion kit to adapt a 727. Radiators easy. Don't need ps. Get an ac system for
I'm classic air or? That way accessories are easy. Dunno, may be a bad idea. That's why I checked with you folks 1st. Cheaper yet would be a 408,but really don't want to. Like to have a daily driver.

CHeck out Schumacher to see if they make conversion mounts.

-
Back