Swapping from 8.25 to 8.75

-

74 360 dart sport

Reaction score
Hi everyone I have a 1974 Dart sport 360 with the original 8.25 suregrip and I am going to swap it with a rebuilt 8.75 suregrip that came from a 67 8 9 or 70 he could not remember dart with sbp I bought the new green axles from Dr. Diff what will I have to do to accomplish this job are the perches going to have to be moved brakes with switching from sbp to bbp driveshaft length what extra parts will I need to buy never done a job like this thank you Tom

8 3/4 rear ends came with both small and large yokes. The 8 3/4 would require a 5/8 '' shorter drive shaft, but I would save this for the last thing I'd do [measure first]. There is a spacer block in the meatball that may have to be removed with suregrips and green bearing setups.
Good luck.

I've done this swap more than once. Just use the backing plates and drums from your 8.25 rear end, leaving all the brakes intact. You can also use the 8.25 shock mounts. I didn't need a new drive shaft, I still had plenty of end play on the slip yoke, but always check. IF your 8 3/4 has the wrong size yoke, you can get an adapting u-joint. This is a relatively easy swap. The 8.25 U-bolts will work (same size), however, I recommend new.

I've done this swap more than once. Just use the backing plates and drums from your 8.25 rear end, leaving all the brakes intact. You can also use the 8.25 shock mounts. I didn't need a new drive shaft, I still had plenty of end play on the slip yoke, but always check. IF your 8 3/4 has the wrong size yoke, you can get an adapting u-joint. This is a relatively easy swap. The 8.25 U-bolts will work (same size), however, I recommend new.
Thank you

Also, in case you are unaware, to get the backing plates off the 8.25, you'll need to pop the differential cover off the back and pull the pin to slide the axles out. Easy as pie.
Hey 318willrun here are some pictures of my 8.75 can you tell me if this is the big or small chunk and what I will need or will I need that adapter you are talking about thanks

20220615_171632.jpg

Gear change plus the little 360 stroker 522.8 hp with 567 torque on dyno
It's funny you say that because when I got my little stroker for my car and started drag racing it with slicks I thought I needed an 8 and 3/4 as well and swapped it out for my eight and a quarter... My eight and a quarter had countless passes on it and I knew I was going to blow soon so I built the 8 and 3/4... 8 and 3/4 lasted about oh 20 passes... BOOM!!!..
Then I spent the same amount of money I did on that 8 and 3/4 on building a Dana 60... I've never given it a thought since..
This is just my story others may differ..
IMG_20200728_163012.jpg

-
Back