Swapping out a Voodoo

-

Retroboy

Reaction score
Hey all. I want to swap out a Lunati 704 Voo-doo for a roller. I have 273 rockers and KB 190 pistons (small domes). Looking for a straight drop in - that is I don't want to fly cut the pistons if I can avoid it. Happy with the Lunati performance just I've wiped a lobe and don't want to go through that again. What have you used with out remachining the engine? Cheers

Not sure I understand the question..... Would you not just use a roller cam with approximately the same lift and duration numbers?

You need to call a cam grinder with ALL a the info and they can grind something that won't have an issue.

You'd be surprised that many fast rate lobes don't eat up near as much P/V as the slower lobes.

I'm running .620 gross lift and my pistons are .045 out of the hole and I still have more P/V than I need.

Regardless, check you P/V every time. Doo-doo occurs.

Solid or Hydo? Some blocks, mainly 340's have issues with Hydro rollers and the counter sinks on the entrance to lifter bores. There are shorter lifters for both but some still don't work and expose the oil hole on Hydro roller lifters.

Remember that MOST HR profiles are for a SBC sized Base Circle and small wheel
not a MOPAR /BBC size base circle and none that I know of have a MOPAR big wheel in the lifter (an edge you can get with a solid roller- less side thrust)
so- check with your grinder
no mis/match problem with a SBC sized base circle which will drop the lifter down (hopefully) into the no problem zone
one reason why regrinds can work - but check the hardness depth

Sorry for your loss, that's a nice cam.
But lost lobes,by definition, means a buncha metal went into your engine. Which for most people means a complete teardown to get it all out.
Voodoo Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam - Chrysler 273-360 276/284 - Lunati Power

I have a similar Hughes cam installed in 2004, and still going strong. In fact. I'm kindof hoping it dies soon, cuz I mean, that's a lotta years on the same bearings and stuff,lol. When it finally Goes, I'm going with a Solid FT

Last edited:
I last ran in August 2018 and it came home sweet. Dropped the oil and filter drained the fuel (methanol) refilled with the same weight and brand hi zinc oil. Checked compressions and left it until last month. Fired it up running okay. Decided to pop a head off an check the head gasket 'coz a couple were down a bit. All okay except in 10 mins of running the oil went black. Looked over the cam shaft and bugger me if no.6 wasn't crook. I wonder if the lifter didn't jam in the block and not rotate or if just sitting for 11 months and all the lube had disappeared? Either way it's a scary thing these days. Most rollers seem to have a bunch more lift. I sent details to Howard cams and a local but didn't get s recommendation from either. I might even use a HR with solid roller lifters and give it some clearance. Going to contact Hughes next.

I got a HR from Mike Jones for my 383. I just got it running so I can't comment much. He has a great reputation on speedtalk and a few other forums.

Jones Cams

It took a while to get (8 weeks total), but it looks like a quality piece.

I have a contact at Howard's too and somewhere I saved a contact for a Crower cams. I can forward these on if you want.

Garth

Hey all. I want to swap out a Lunati 704 Voo-doo for a roller. I have 273 rockers and KB 190 pistons (small domes). Looking for a straight drop in - that is I don't want to fly cut the pistons if I can avoid it. Happy with the Lunati performance just I've wiped a lobe and don't want to go through that again. What have you used with out remachining the engine? Cheers
What's the engine build ?
Starting with cutting the oil filter open ,is where I would start..

All okay except in 10 mins of running the oil went black.
This is a weird thing to happen .... not sure why it would do this. Have to wonder if something was in the engine or in the fuel that destroyed the oil lubricity and that did in the lobe...errr, 'made it crook'...by jingo. Did you use any additives with the oil?

You need to call a cam grinder with ALL a the info and they can grind something that won't have an issue.

You'd be surprised that many fast rate lobes don't eat up near as much P/V as the slower lobes.

I'm running .620 gross lift and my pistons are .045 out of the hole and I still have more P/V than I need.

Regardless, check you P/V every time. Doo-doo occurs.
Howdy.
How much have your valve reliefs been cut?
Cheers

Has Anyone used or have first hand experience with Howards Big Daddy Rattler hyd roller cam - Lift: .530 / .515, Duration @ .050: 243 / 251, Centerline: 103. I have a basic engine - 360 plus .040, port matched and tidied up J heads with 1.93 and 1.60 valves, 273 rockers and KB 190 pistons (small domes). It's in a fly weight slingshot not an A body. running an 8" converter, 904 TF, 4.3 gears and a 31" tyre

Last edited:
Mike Jones inverse radius profiles really work
fill this out and see what he comes up with
Is 103 the lobe center angle (LCA) or the intake install center line
can you estimate head flows from the Stan Weiss site? what's your head cc's (exactly) gasket, deck clearance, need true compression
Drag Race | Jones Cams

-
Back