Sway Bar 69 Cuda

-

Rod 69 Cuda

Reaction score
Hello, how do I remove and replace these bushings on the 69 Cuda sway bar...Or do I? They seem to be permanently attached. I have new ones that came with a front end kit...At least I think they are for what's in the first photo? Just don't know how to replace them. Thanks

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

Lol. Ok. I just remember mine having about half welds so I figured they were basically tacked! I did do one set by force without cutting though.

If I had the new parts I would change them. Value? No value increase. Feel? Most likely they will feel more secure than the old.

Come in from the backside with a cutoff wheel and cut the weld, aim for the inside surface of the strap, aim to stay flush with the inside surface.

It will need to be clamped and welded.

Alan

I’d drill a few holes in the old one and work the old one out. The new one should be more pliable so spray it with lubricant of some sort and just push it in.

Did PST bushings by
cleaning the sway bar/wipe it with die electric grease
heat bushing with a heat gun to soften it and pull it right off
slide the new bushing on the same way // dielectric grease and mild heat

clean bushing bracket//grease/mild heat and the bushing will POP right into the bracket
you cant put the bushing in the bracket 1st because it wont go over the eye of the sway bar

pay attention to the brackets I made a mistake//there a left and right

and you will have a lesser chance of destroying you bushings with welder heat....

Did mine manually, without any cutting. To remove, you can drill out the rubber to make it easier. Clean bar and bracket but don't paint. Slide new rubber on from the end using a lot of lube. Install rubber into bracket again with lube. When bracket is positioned correctly, then you can clean it up and paint. This is easy to explain-but it is a pain!

I agree with Murray, no reason to cut the welds. I did mine by digging out the old one with a screwdriver and old knife. I cleaned the ends of the sway bar, removed any burrs and lightly sanded that section of the sway bar (from the round mount on the end over to where the bushing sits). I used KY jelly (because it cleans up with water) and slid the bushings over the end of the sway bar and into position. The final step was to slather the KY jelly onto the outside of the bushings and the inner part of the supports. I used a couple of sets of water pump pliers and pushed the bushings into the supports (these were the poly bushings). They have a rib down the middle that keeps them in place once you squeeze them into the mounts. I have a 1967 Barracuda Formula S and they’ve been in there 15 years, working great!

I agree with Murray, no reason to cut the welds. I did mine by digging out the old one with a screwdriver and old knife. I cleaned the ends of the sway bar, removed any burrs and lightly sanded that section of the sway bar (from the round mount on the end over to where the bushing sits). I used KY jelly (because it cleans up with water) and slid the bushings over the end of the sway bar and into position. The final step was to slather the KY jelly onto the outside of the bushings and the inner part of the supports. I used a couple of sets of water pump pliers and pushed the bushings into the supports (these were the poly bushings). They have a rib down the middle that keeps them in place once you squeeze them into the mounts. I have a 1967 Barracuda Formula S and they’ve been in there 15 years, working great!
Yes, I basically did the same thing, took about 45 minutes but not as hard as it seemed. Thanks
Did PST bushings by
cleaning the sway bar/wipe it with die electric grease
heat bushing with a heat gun to soften it and pull it right off
slide the new bushing on the same way // dielectric grease and mild heat

clean bushing bracket//grease/mild heat and the bushing will POP right into the bracket
you cant put the bushing in the bracket 1st because it wont go over the eye of the sway bar

pay attention to the brackets I made a mistake//there a left and right

and you will have a lesser chance of destroying you bushings with welder heat....
Thanks, worked great (45 minutes to remove and replace), and better yet, no welding.

KY in the garage, HUH, I guess all your tools are in there !!!!:rofl:

-
Back