Sway Bars: how important?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
Adding bigger sway bars obviously reduces body roll but (and please correct me if I'm wrong), also reduces the grip on which ever end of the car that you're attaching them. Add a heavier rear bar and the tail will come around. Add a heavier front bar and it will plow like a wrong wheel drive Honda. :D

My guess is that there's a happy medium...enough to stabilize body movements which would allow more crisp transitions and improve driver confidence...but not so much as to restrict suspension articulation and reduce mechanical grip any more than necessary.

So assuming your car came with a sway bar (as many of them did), how critical is it to go bigger when upgrading the suspension? Wouldn't stiffer springs and firmer shocks also help control body movements?

Does anyone with performance handling in mind leave them off the list of upgrades all together? I recently swapped in Bilstein shocks, Eibach lowering springs into my 2011 Mustang GT and despite leaving the stock sway bar alone, body roll was subjectively reduced just from the shocks/springs.

I'm just trying to figure out where to prioritize this mod on the Mopar. Any thoughts are welcome!

Firm Feel, Hotchkiss, PST and all the others offer bigger sway bars. They increase the cornering spring rate without affecting the straight line rate. That helps keep the car streetable.

Adding bigger sway bars obviously reduces body roll but (and please correct me if I'm wrong), also reduces the grip on which ever end of the car that you're attaching them. Add a heavier rear bar and the tail will come around. Add a heavier front bar and it will plow like a wrong wheel drive Honda. :D

My guess is that there's a happy medium...enough to stabilize body movements which would allow more crisp transitions and improve driver confidence...but not so much as to restrict suspension articulation and reduce mechanical grip any more than necessary.

So assuming your car came with a sway bar (as many of them did), how critical is it to go bigger when upgrading the suspension? Wouldn't stiffer springs and firmer shocks also help control body movements?

Does anyone with performance handling in mind leave them off the list of upgrades all together? I recently swapped in Bilstein shocks, Eibach lowering springs into my 2011 Mustang GT and despite leaving the stock sway bar alone, body roll was subjectively reduced just from the shocks/springs.

I'm just trying to figure out where to prioritize this mod on the Mopar. Any thoughts are welcome!
Great questions. I don't like the body lean with these cars and I'm not a big fan of the "front only" sway bar either. The front is under control but the back isn't. I would like to try a small diameter sway bar on the rear just to even things out. I don't drag or rally race my cars but I wouldn't mind the stability.

I’ve been road racing competitively for 26 years. So I’m speaking of my experience which is generally shared. If I am loose entering and mid corner, and all I had was springs to adjust... which is your case... I would soften the bars or springs in my case.
My car has in cockpit adjustable sway bars. So let’s go with that. It’s not uncommon that if I pick up a little push on entry, I will soften the front bar for more front grip/compliance. It’s an older book but so are these cars. Carrol smith has a whole series of books. On on handling. It’s a good read.

Firm Feel, Hotchkiss, PST and all the others offer bigger sway bars. They increase the cornering spring rate without affecting the straight line rate. That helps keep the car streetable.

Hookes law disagrees with you. F=KX
The spring constant is just that. A constant. That’s one advantage that a coil spring has over T bars. An asymmetrical spring can coil bind at a certain height and the constant for that height change.

Great info all around, guys!
My car has in cockpit adjustable sway bars. So let’s go with that. It’s not uncommon that if I pick up a little push on entry, I will soften the front bar for more front grip/compliance. It’s an older book but so are these cars. Carrol smith has a whole series of books. On on handling. It’s a good read.

Can you share any info about your in-cockpit adjustable sway bar setup? I suppose I should have heard of this before but I don't know of anyone who has this!

This makes sense...but in reality, sway bars still add harshness even when not cornering. It seems to me that the only case that this really would work the way you describe would be in the case of both wheels experiencing the same pavement imperfection simultaneously. Do you agree?

One of the very first things that I did to my NA Miata (a million years ago) was to replace the tiny stock sway bars. It made a wonderful difference in the feel of the car when cornering but it was instantly noticeable as being more rough in any kind of driving. My second Miata (NB) got adjustable coil-overs and I didn't bother with the sways...it seemed to still corner very flat. I didn't keep it long enough to race it that way.

This makes sense...but in reality, sway bars still add harshness even when not cornering. It seems to me that the only case that this really would work the way you describe would be in the case of both wheels experiencing the same pavement imperfection simultaneously. Do you agree?

One of the very first things that I did to my NA Miata (a million years ago) was to replace the tiny stock sway bars. It made a wonderful difference in the feel of the car when cornering but it was instantly noticeable as being more rough in any kind of driving. My second Miata (NB) got adjustable coil-overs and I didn't bother with the sways...it seemed to still corner very flat. I didn't keep it long enough to race it that way.

That’s exactly what I’m a fan of for customers who want to track their rides. Soft springs, big bars.

Great info all around, guys!

Can you share any info about your in-cockpit adjustable sway bar setup? I suppose I should have heard of this before but I don't know of anyone who has this!

They are simple yet very effective setups. A little costly but almost a must for competitive race cars with changing conditions. Especially in the rain. It’s a blade. It’s obvious that a butter knife can be bent easily flat but not so easily turned 90 degrees. It’s infinitely adjustable as well. I run a 6 slot detent on my stuff. You can make an adjustment by counting clicks on the fly easier than reading a slider gauge. These are cable actuated. Very easy to adjust.

8CE7C55D-53AD-4995-B350-3DF63741B3DF.jpeg

I'm a streeter with on the road torque of; over 4000ftlbs available in first gear and 3000 in second, so I steer with power a good part of the time. I mostly want the car to skate predictably, so I know where it it's gonna be in the next little while, and make sure there's not gonna be anything occupying that space, when I get there. It always skates on street tires.I did the sticky tire thing one summer, but that's too rich for me.
I'm just a schmuck who likes to slide,skate, and generally just drive like an idiot. As long as the car does what I expect it to, when I expect it too,and only when I expect it to, I call that fun.
1.03 front T-bars, 1.125 Hotchkiss, Ancient 3-way HD Munroe-matics, De-arched springs with second mainleaf, lowered, and poly thru-out. Maybe she skates because she gets on the bumpstops. Maybe cuz the street-tires give up. Maybe cuz its all town streets, barren crown land and farmer's fields; Doin' it Hazzard style.
I try not to jump it anymore. Altho, with the belly pan on there now............

I hope you find your happy place :)

You have to match your spring rates with the amount of traction you have. So, adding a sway bar should add cornering ability and help grip, not reduce it, if you've sized them correctly. And the right size depends on a lot of things, your tire compounds and the amount of traction you have, the weight of the car, the front/rear bias for your center of gravity, how stiff your springs are already. And as mopar92 pointed out, optimal rate even depends on weather conditions, because it all comes back to how much traction you have.

It's true, sway bars can effect your overall wheel rate even in a straight line. If one side hits a big old pothole and the other doesn't, the sway bar could definitely come into play. How much depends on the amount of suspension travel and how the sway bar is mounted and actuated. If you've got big soft end link bushings, the sway bar may not add resistance right away. If you have a relatively small amount of suspension travel, it can effect how much and when the sway bar comes in.

So, yes, if you run super stiff springs, you may not really need much in the way of sway bars. Body roll will be reduced, you have to compress the springs. But your ride quality will suffer all the time. The idea is that by running sway bars you can have the wheel rate you need when cornering hard, yet still have a more tolerable rate when just driving around casually. Sure, sometimes the sway bars will come into play and add that wheel rate in, but not always, like it would be if you just made the spring rate the same as the overall wheel rate you wanted. And it depends on your tires. If you have super soft tires designed for handling, you can load them a lot more in a corner than you can just driving around, so there could be a big gap between the wheel rate you want just cruising around and the wheel rate you need when you're pulling .9G on the skid pad.

As far as when to add them, you can wait, you don't have to install everything at once. In fact it's probably better to wait. Install the springs and shocks you want, then see how the car handles with that combination. If it's a soft, floppy, body rolling mess you'll want to add sway bars. If it's already loose, you may already have more wheel rate than traction to go with it. As for the front only bar, that had a lot to do with the factory spring rates. The front was super soft, very undersprung. But in the back, the leaf springs were much closer to the ideal wheel rate than the front was. So, adding just a front sway bar to a car with factory spring rates could balance the car better. Weight balance effects that too, these cars are nose heavy so you can run higher rates up front. The other thing is that with a RWD only car you can control rear traction with the throttle, so, it's better to be a little undersprung on the wheel rate in the back because you can throttle steer if you've got enough power, and making it too stiff in the back will make the thing tail happy with any throttle inputs.

When you set up a car's suspension, you really have to start with the tires. If you're going to run hockey puck hard all season radials, you don't need huge torsion bars and giant sway bars, you'll end up loose because you don't have the traction (although you can still run more than the factory rates because they were for even harder bias plys!). On the other hand, if you're going to run 200 treadwear, modern compound tires designed for handling you'll need those big torsion bars AND big sway bars. Depends on where your drive too, if its all street you'll want softer springs than something that's mostly for track use, not just for comfort but because you want your tires on the ground. If it's all track, you can go super stiff with the springs because tracks are super smooth. Well, at least compared to public roads anyway. Remember that what you really want isn't the stiffest springs you can find, it's actually the softest springs you can get away with for a given amount of suspension travel and handling. The whole idea is to keep the wheels on the road, so the softest springs and the most suspension travel you can get while still handling well is what you're shooting for to keep the wheels in contact with the road all the time. Of course that's a balance too, with a given suspension design the travel is usually the limiting factor, so your minimum wheel rate is the one that keeps you off the bump stops most of the time, and the max is where the car goes loose from lack of traction on smooth road and ideal conditions. Where you end up between those two depends on application, road conditions, personal preferences and driving style. How far apart the minimum and maximum wheel rates are mostly depends on how much grip the tires have.

-
Back