Sway bars

-

cuda620

Reaction score
Lookin for opinions about the best sway bars to help handling with a 67 barracuda with a B engine. Thanks,no bars on it at all yet.

Look into Hellwig. They are a good value looking at quality and thoroughness of install kit versus price.

They offer a hollow, solid, and bent-arm versions. The bent arm is for wide front tires with larger than 4.5"-5" and up backspace rims.

Last edited:
Here is a factory sway bar installed on a '67 Dart.

Screenshot_20230127-135737_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230127-135604_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230127-135625_Gallery.jpg

Don't waste time with the factory swaybar if you don't already have one — it's hard to find, too small and you can't easily replace the bushings. Hellwig makes a very nice kit. ADDCO makes an inexpensive bar, but the mounting bracket is grossly inferior to Hellwig's — I wouldn't recommend it (I have one but I completely reengineered the mounts and the end links).

Hellwig #55917 is the “pro touring” front sway bar, it puts the sway bar tabs in a similar spot as the 73+ cars and increases tire clearance. If you’re planning on 17+ rims and anything 245mm or wider for tires in the front you need the #55917.

If you want to have the stock 67-72 sway bar tab locations on the LCA’s, Hellwig #5906 is what you need. It can be used with the factory LCA tabs. But that bar will limit tire width to about 235mm max.

Hotchkis also makes a very nice bar for the 67-72 cars, but it’s more expensive and functionally isn’t much different than the #55917. The Hotchkis bar, like the 55917, will not work with the factory 67-72 LCA tab locations. Which doesn’t matter unless you have LCA’s from a factory sway bar car.

I went with Hellwig on mine. SDTrucksprings.com had them for $100 cheaper than anywhere else. They were out of stock, but Summit had them and price matched. I ordered them last summer. I think they were $230 eaxh for the front and rear. The front made a huge difference, I haven't installed the rear yet

Thanks! Sounds like the majoritzy is helwig. Thanks for the advice. Now I know what to do.

I went with Hellwig on mine. SDTrucksprings.com had them for $100 cheaper than anywhere else. They were out of stock, but Summit had them and price matched. I ordered them last summer. I think they were $230 eaxh for the front and rear. The front made a huge difference, I haven't installed the rear yet
Put that rear one on :thumbsup: no more roll over, and it ties it down.

Another vote for Hellwig. I have one on my '69 Valiant. I had minor installation difficulty with the K-member brackets, but that was Chrysler's fault. The upper and lower halves of the K-frame had the holes stamped before they were welded together, and on mine they were slightly offset. I couldn't get a bolt through. Fixing that was quick, easy work with the grinder. Other than that foible, the installation was straightforward and simple. The quality is excellent.

-
Back