Sweptline Serpentine

-

Mopar Sam

Well Fed Member
Reaction score
Trying to get things ready to get my Old Yeller going early this spring, I find I have no alternator or even the brackets. They are now on another project.

So, looking around I have several good magnum style alternators and their brackets. I hate spending $$, so I thought I'd see what I could come up with.

My motor will be a 340 based 414 with Procomp heads. I stuck the heads on an old 318 to see what I need to do.

First, I need to get rid of some of the ugly.
IMG_3725.jpg
IMG_3726.jpg

After a couple hours with a sawzall, grinder and junk belt sander, I'm getting there.

IMG_3730.jpg
IMG_3723.jpg

I really, still did not like how high and in front the alternator sat. The output stud was also very close the the valve covers.
So close that I would have to remove the alt. to take the valve cover off.

IMG_3724.jpg

Ok, now the part that some won't like, my tensioner bracket not quite finished:

IMG_3728.jpg

IMG_3729.jpg

IMG_3731.jpg

The arrow points towards the notch for the tensioner.

InkedIMG_3732_LI.jpg

I still need to do a little purtying up, and measure for a belt.
I'll update as I move along.

It looks good. You'll defiantly have lots of belt surface area on your alternator.
I wonder if the belt will work without rubbing on the water pump pulley. I'm interested in your idea for sure, especially in a truck where the alternator can sit high without hitting anything.

It looks good. You'll defiantly have lots of belt surface area on your alternator.
I wonder if the belt will work without rubbing on the water pump pulley. I'm interested in your idea for sure, especially in a truck where the alternator can sit high without hitting anything.

I will post more pics when I get a belt. Somewhere around here I have an old one that I was going to use to measure for the new one. I just can't find it yet..

Look'n good !!!! Progress !!!

"Serpentine Sweptline" ... like it !

Last edited:

I found a belt and grabbed a set of vice grips.

Here are my 2 options. I like the 2nd best with the alt sitting lower and to the side, but # 1 has more belt on the water pump.

I will try the 2nd first and can always change if I need to.

IMG_3733.jpg

IMG_3737.jpg

If your are really worried about the wrap on the water pump, can you cobble another idler using the two holes I point to in the pic? looks like it could give you a lot more contact. Or maybe the extra idler could attach to your new bracket.

upload_2022-1-25_13-55-19.png

If your are really worried about the wrap on the water pump, can you cobble another idler using the two holes I point to in the pic? looks like it could give you a lot more contact. Or maybe the extra idler could attach to your new bracket.

View attachment 1715858826

Yes, that would help. I am going to try it first without anything else, mainly out of curiosity. Thanks!

Curious about the rotation of the water pump. Isn't that rotating backwards or does a magnum pump run that way, if it is a magnum pump?

Sorry, not familiar enough with the magnum stuff to know if it even is magnum stuff! BTW, what year is that magnum bracket off of?

Curious about the rotation of the water pump. Isn't that rotating backwards or does a magnum pump run that way, if it is a magnum pump?

Sorry, not familiar enough with the magnum stuff to know if it even is magnum stuff! BTW, what year is that magnum bracket off of?
that's right for a magnum, and yes, it's a magnum pump

I am not sure on the year, but I think they were all the same. They made a non ac bracket that would have taken less sawzall time.

If I get bored, I may whittle a few more ounces off of it since my truck is heavy.

I am not sure on the year, but I think they were all the same. They made a non ac bracket that would have taken less sawzall time.

If I get bored, I may whittle a few more ounces off of it since my truck is heavy.
Any updates ?? :)

-
Back