swinger 360

-

n8ling

Reaction score
Howdy, this is my first time on here, and it looks like I'm a rookie mopar gear head. I recently scored a 74 swinger in near mint condion #1 problem, not enough power in the slanty. I have also come across a 76 royal monaco (free)
although most parts are usless to me I kept a few, more important I've got the block 360 and tranny 727. The block seems a little tired in the bottom end, but she'll still gets up and goes. I guess my question is, I'm planning on a top end rebuild And need to know some good strong combinations with out getting to crazy. I have done a lot of research on the conversion, and am trying my dambdest to get a hold of a 8.75 rear end with an A body housing, not easy but have some good leads. I've got the brake upgrades under control, just need to know things like if I'll have enough room for headers or will I have to stay stock with manifolds. The steering box is another huge concern since I'm probebly staying with the sixy K-member.
Not rich but got a few bucks to spend and lots of time for wrenching, so any info would be a big help..........thanks ,new mopar nut!

http://www.engine-swaps.com/ Has the swap kit needed for the V-8 swap. Any header manufacturer will have headers for this car/engine combo. The k frame being a /6 is not a problem.
Do a search on headers and see. (Go to the exhaust section.)
A top end rebuild can cause problems on the lower end if it is weak.
The steering box is of no concern.

Now, a strong combo.....you'll get lots of opinions here on that. Sooo, how much power do you want to create?
On the cheap type build;
Swap meet for a used carb, Torker II or Performer and headers. I would spend the money on a new cam. You didn't say what gears your going to use, soooo a cam would be near impossible to recomend.

Brand spanking new parts would be; A RPM intake and heads, headers and carb to match.
A 360 is good to make use of a 600 for melo/mileage street manors, 650 for a bit of a hop up, 750 for some serious power making.

Wow fast input
As for the block I was thinking of piston inspection and new rings cleaning everything up valves, cylinder heads etc. New cam, has 2 bbl holley card upgrade to a 4 for sure, and maybe 3:55 in the rear. I've also heard mixed reveiws about the torsion bars on the front should I upgrade to the 318 set?
Really what I want is a sweet rumble, A good poke on the bottom end but something that can handle mild highway driving as well, fuel economy ??? what ever Gas is like cigarettes and money, they're all ment for burn'in

If this is truely a tight budget, I would do what you have to do, to get it in, and running reliably. Only look at a running engine to put in, still in the car. Verify the tranny has enough oil, jack up the rear of the car, and while the engine is running, run the trans thru the gears to make sure all 3 work. (manually shift it up, so you know it works in all of them) As fas as the engine's output, a stock 360 will move the car 100% better, even 2bbl. But if it's out, now is the time for some upgrades. the swap meet 4bbl, I'd use a factory iron AVS (68-70 340) and a new Edelbrock 600 cfm. The timing chain has nylon teeth, and no matter what milage, should be replaced. Pull the timing cover, replace the cam with something mild. Summit makes a good cam and lifter kit for this. Add a new timing set. I would also replace the oil pump and pickup with a HV unit, and replace the rear main seal while the pan is off. I'd also add the MP windage tray package. The heads should get new springs (maybe one up from stock) and new valve seals. (these can both be done on a $50 engine stand, no need to pull the heads.) Stick a new filter and gasket in the trans, and new pump and tailshaft seals. Then put it in. I'd get brand new, but cheap headers, regular manifolds will not work int he Dart chassis. You need either V8 dart (273-318 are cheap, but not very good..) or the performance manifolds (340 only, but 2-3 times the cost of cheap headers). You will need the larger radiator from the parts car, and you'll need the Schumacher Creative Services conversion mounts if you are keeping the /6 K frame. The weight of the 2 egnines is similar..The /6 weighs a ton for it's displacement. Save some money for a good set of custom dual exhaust. The rear should hold for a little while, if you drive sanely until you find a 8 3/4. There were several on this site in parts for sale last time I looked, but they dont give them away much anymore...lol. Figure a budget of $1300, and you'll be close with this recipe. above the cost of the parts car of course. It's better to spend a little to get good operating units, then to try and fix them "the right way" after you get them cheap.

The man is right. Just get'er in there.
The /6 suspention will do. You can upgrade to stock 340 bars and springs from MoPar later.
On my first owned Dodge Magnum, a '79 with a 360/904/2.76 combo, I added a 340 trap door air cleaner, 625 Carter AFB, factory T-Q 4bbl, dual exhaust mandrel bent @ 2-1/4 inch with an H pipe and for the time, twin cats because it was needed.
Being a lean burn car, I fired the Lean burn and terminated it's services in favor for a junk yard distrib and MSD 6A box. The tires were 235/60/15.

Tunes and takeing it easy, read with traffic driving (65 or less) I nabbed 20 MPG's Hwy.
No headers, no aluminum intake, no overdrive, faster than stock stangs with better mileage and more steel.

If on the cheap is the order of biz, got to swap meets and cruise the boards for stuff and ask for a better price. Worst that happens is they say NO.

Ideas...
TorkerII go for about $75 or so as well as Performers.
T-Q are cheap when in need of a rebuild. No different for other carbs, but T-Q's are king of cheap most of the time.
Headers could be a deal. 340 exhaust manifolds are just to much money.
Looking for MPG's. Keep the cam small. Something like a Comp 260 HI enegry cam or small extreme cam can add 10 - 20 hp alone and still get good mileage. Ask a grinders help for such a cam.

Thanks for all the input fellas, definetly feeling a lot more confident about the swap.
I'm also wondering what I can use for a starter, just eye ball'in I can already tell with any sort of headers, there wont be much room. I'm also wanting to beef up the rear end(hieght wise) maybe 2 inches or so, Joe dirt style. Any good suggestions.
As for exaust I'm seriously considering some big fat side pipes, call me crazy but I'm going for an extreme look here.

A on the cheap rear end lift is a shackle kit.
The Mopar hi-performance starter will clear. If a stock one is used, spec to the parts man a hi-performace 360 unit. It surprised me that it took more heat than others. Old parts man recomended this change. I had no idea. (Love the old guys)

For headers, the $100 cheapies fit ok, but you need to seperate some steering links to ge tthem in. I would go to a bone yard, and ask for the starter from any Magnum powered Ram, not the deisel. It's bettrer than most remans, and is the small light version MP sells new.

If you can't find an 8-3/4 you can look for an 8-1/4. And they are set up with the big bolt pattern which I believe they had in 74.

-
Back